Thursday, May 14, 2015

Radio Tease #6: Diiz

(What's a Radio Tease? Click here!)

One thing about most Radio Teases is that I can almost never really recall why it was we started talking. Sometimes, I think they just wanted someone to talk to because things were sort of tough in their lives and they felt like they could trust the voice they heard on the radio. It was certainly that way with Diiz.

Diiz was rather young, but had just gotten out of a short-lived marriage. She was able to get the divorce very quickly because she had caught her husband in bed with her sister. We arranged to meet outside an Allsup's convenience store one afternoon.

She was waiting outside for me. She had long, blonde hair and was cute. She said I could just take her to her apartment where she lived with her mother, her older sister Shad and her half-sister Card. It turned out to be the exact same apartment where Diid and her children used to live. (Diid and Diiz actually had the same name.) We were by ourselves in the apartment for a little while. Then, her sisters came in. Shad had short dark hair and freckles. She was taller and thinner than Diiz, but she was nowhere near as pretty. Card was about the same height as Shad, but she had red hair and was rather attractive. They had come back from shopping. Card had bought a Super Soaker water gun. They were going to test it outside.

I later asked Diiz why her husband would have wanted to sleep with Shad. She told me that he just wanted to make her mad. Yep, that was a pretty good marriage.

I called Diid's friend Kyz and told her I liked one of the women who lived in Diid's old apartment. Kyz groaned really loudly and asked, "Which one?" I told her it was Diiz. She said, "Oh, yeah! She's really nice!" "Then why did you like it was a bad thing?" "Because I thought you were talking about Card. She's a really terrible person." (I think it's kind of funny how she knew there was no way I would hook up with Shad.)

I got to come over to Diiz' apartment again and met her mother. She was nice. Another time, I got to come over and Diiz and I watched the movie "Pink Floyd: The Wall." There are some sexual scenes in that film. I didn't know if she was uncomfortable watching that with me, because I know I was. She never said anything.

One day, I was at the mall, eating at Taco Box. I saw Shad and Card walking around. Card seemed to be upset about something, but I couldn't hear what was going on. Shad saw me and came over to talk to me a little bit. We didn't really discuss much.

A couple of weeks later, Shad called me up and asked me if I would co-sign on a bank loan so that she could buy a used car. Shad assured me that she would be making all the payments on the loan, but she needed a car really bad. First, I wanted to speak to Diiz. I asked her if she thought it was a good idea for me to do this. She said, "Yeah, you should go ahead and do that for her."

I met Shad at the bank and started filling out the paperwork with the loan officer. The whole time, I was getting red flags all over the place about this. Mainly, it had to do with Shad not actually having a job, so I don't know how she was expecting to pay the loan back. (I suspect that once she got a car, she would get a job, but I still didn't have too much confidence in that.) Then, the officer asked for my credit card. Even though I had one, I told him I didn't. He said he couldn't approve the loan without some proof of prior credit. That was the end of that. Shad was disappointed.

I talked to Diiz after that. She told me it was a good thing the loan didn't go through, because Shad probably would have defaulted on the loan and left me to pay for it. I asked Diiz, "If you knew that, why did you advise me to do it? The only reason I agreed to do it was because you asked me to!" "I didn't want Shad to get mad at me." I thought, "Shad slept with your husband. She's got no right to get mad at you about anything," but I didn't say it.

I stopped talking to Diiz after that. A few weeks later, Shad called me and told me Diiz was about to get married to this other guy, but that she really liked me a lot. I said, "Oh, well."

I saw Diiz one more time about a year later when I was driving around Clovis. She recognized me before I recognized her. We didn't really say much to each other as I never got out of the car, but I don't think she got married.

I can't find her on-line because I can't remember her last name. Until I started writing this blog, I hadn't thought about Diiz for at least the last quarter century, as is the case with the Radio Tease I'll be focused on tomorrow. Sometimes, writing all this stuff feels like I'm ripping open old wounds, but they always heal again.

No comments:

Post a Comment