Thursday, February 15, 2018

Girlfriend #7: Jolz, Part 1

Now that my self-esteem had been boosted with the purchased of a new car, I was ready to hunt for my next girlfriend. This would be the first time I would enter the dating world with short hair. I would find out soon enough if it would make a difference.

Since I seemed to have more success getting women who placed ads in the Penny Saver to call me back, I figured that was the best route to go (especially considering that was how I got my last girlfriend). I found an ad for a 23-year-old woman. I called her voice mail. Her name was Jolz. Her outgoing message said a little bit about her, but she added, "One thing I need to let you know is that I'm really fat!" I had responded to other ads in which the woman claimed to be fat, but was actually about 30 pounds overweight. I figured this was another case of a woman exaggerating her size.

A day later, Jolz called me back. I didn't ask anything about her weight and she didn't bring it up during the conversation. She described herself as having red hair. She worked for Volunteers of America in a residential facility for people going through rehab. She said she was into "Star Trek" and country music. "Star Trek" was cool and I could tolerate country music. After we talked awhile, we decided to meet. We made plans to show up at the Family Fun Center in El Cajon.

I arrived at the location and looked around, but I couldn't find her. I figured I got there before she did. I then saw some people come in. Among them was a red-haired woman and she was REALLY OVERWEIGHT! SHE WASN'T KIDDING! She and two other people with her walked right by me without noticing me. I have to admit, my first instinct was telling me to RUN! However, before I could do anything, a man in the entourage (who was just as overweight as she was) turned around and saw me. He said, "Hey, is your name Fayd?" I said, "Yeah, I'm Fayd." He pointed Jolz toward me. The man was her older brother Resd. The other person in the entourage was her 10-year-old sister Asd.

Jolz and I got a soda, sat down and talked. I could tell that she was afraid I wasn't going to like her because of her size. I continued to have a normal conversation with her, like we did on the phone. She lightened up after awhile and we both began to feel more comfortable. Asd came over and sat with us for a little bit. I told Jolz I would call her in the near future and we could try to go out and do something.

I pondered what I wanted to do. I'd never dated anyone THAT overweight before. At the same time, I knew what it was like to be constantly rejected. I never knew for certain why I was always rejected, but she knew why, every single time. I kind of felt sorry for her. I had to admit that she was actually rather pretty. I just had to look past her size. Would I be able to do that?

I decided to give her another shot. I called her up. She sounded excited to hear from me again. I asked her if she wanted to go do something. She said that she was going to go to the movies with some people from work. She invited me to meet up with her at the AMC Mission Valley. They were going to go see "10 Things I Hate about You." It wasn't really a movie I had much interest in seeing, but the movie theatre wasn't very far away, and she offered to pay. I decided to go.

I got there and found her, Asd and another woman waiting in line for tickets. She introduced me to the woman, whose name was Fand, whom I assumed was a co-worker. Jolz paid for the tickets. We bought some popcorn and soda and went into the auditorium.

During the film (which I liked much more than I expected), I contemplated what was going to happen. One thing I knew was that she was someone I would never get married to. If I started something up, it definitely was not going to be long-term. I wondered if I should wait for something better to come along. I had responded to other ads, but no one else had called me back. This was really all I had going right now. I hadn't been involved with someone for almost a year and a half. Did I want to wait longer? I could only assume that she was interested. After all, she did invite me and offer to pay for the movie. I decided to go for it.

I reached over and started holding her hand. She didn't do anything like push it away. I was now officially heading down the path of romance, but it was in a location I had never been to before.

No comments:

Post a Comment