Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Things I actually liked about junior high school

For a lot of people, junior high school was the worst place imaginable as far as public education goes. While I tend to agree that there was a lot to deal with emotionally (and physically), it wasn't all that bad (even though I've done nothing but complain about it up to this point).

The number one thing I liked was that I was not required to take Physical Education for the two years I attended. I had just been through two years of torture with Athletics in intermediate school. It was a nice break from being pushed around and bullied by any P.E. teacher that I would have gotten.

On that note, I also enjoyed not having to stay after school for Athletics. I was able to just leave school at the end of the day and go straight home. I realized later that staying after school didn't really do anything but keep me there for an extra hour every day.

I also did not have to take Science classes. Don't ask me why they didn't force this upon us for two years. I'm actually surprised that anyone signed up for Science. Science wouldn't have been so bad if I'd had a decent teacher, but I always got the feeling that the teachers were somewhat forced into a subject they had no interest in. If the teacher didn't really put in the effort to show that he had command of the subject, then I would have no interest in showing respect for the subject.

I got to take Choir for an actual class. And the class was right before lunch, right after two solid hours of English. It was a great way to get to the midway point of the school day.

In the eighth grade, I had Arts and Crafts for my final class of the day. It was a nice way to wind down. (However, in ninth grade, I had Algebra for my final class. I couldn't really wind down then.)

The lunch room was a lot more spacious. It had this really high ceiling and it just felt like there was plenty of room for everyone. Quite frequently, I was able to have one table all to myself.

And of course, there was knowing that I wouldn't have to deal with my parents at school for the two years I was there.

Yes, there are times when I am very negative about a lot of stuff, but from time to time, I am able to find a few bright spots here and there, especially in places where other people cannot find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment