Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year's Resolutions

I've never had much use for making major changes in my life at the beginning of a New Year. My resolutions happen to come in small doses throughout the calendar. I try to get through school, work and relationships.

If I decide I'm going to lose weight, I will do it when it feels right, not when January 1st rolls around. I'd hate to be the person who makes a resolution to lose weight for the New Year on January 2nd. That means I would wind up gaining a lot of weight before I even begin to try to lose it. That's not a good habit to get into, especially if you go ahead and give up in the first few weeks of the year.

I mostly make resolutions when I find myself in difficult situations. When I was unemployed, I would resolve to find another job within four weeks. When I was forced to find a new apartment, I would do everything possible to make sure I had a roof over my head. When I wound up being unemployed for three months, I swore I would not go back to living with my parents. For the most part, I was able to accomplish all of these goals with a lot of determination. Sometimes, I wouldn't meet my deadlines, but I always accomplished the issues that were important to keeping myself alive.

That's not to say that I've met every goal I ever set for myself. There are just some you have to give up on and others that you have to wait a long time for. In my case, that would be marriage. When I was a teenager, I resolved to be married by the time I was 25. I almost did that. (You'll read about it later.) I just didn't realize that it would take me an extra 17 years to actually get to the altar.

As for goals that I've given up on, I thought that I would eventually be rich and famous. I know that's never going to happen. Nobody wants to know me or give me money.

No comments:

Post a Comment