Wednesday, December 10, 2014

College Roomate #4: Sind

With this post, I'm officially in my sophomore year of college at Eastern New Mexico University. I'd mentioned before that during the summer of 1983, my roommate was Chud. Since I've already gone into major detail about him, I didn't need to write about him and our experience as roommates. We know where we stand on this. I'll also add that Kird was roommate #5. It seems like all the friends I had as roommates were odd numbers.

Sind graduated from Belen High School in 1983. This was his freshman year. He appeared to be Hispanic (but could have been Native American or a mix of both) and very good-looking. He was also able to grow a full mustache, which was something I still couldn't do even though I was 19 years old.

Sind and I got along pretty well, but we were not friends. It was the same as my roommate situation with Jad. Once, I was eating lunch with a couple of freshman girls from the Theatre Department. Sind came by my table and made some comment. I told the girls he was my roommate. One of them said, "That's your roommate? Would you like to trade roommates?" The other girl, who was her roommate at the time said, "NO!" Yeah, that made me feel good.

He was still dating the same girl he went to high school with. However, she was attending college at ENMU's Roswell campus. I don't know why she decided to go there instead of coming to Portales. She came up almost every weekend. Sind had a classmate from Belen who had a private room on our floor. He went home every weekend. So when his girlfriend came up, they would spend time in his classmate's room.

One day, I came back to the dorm room on a weeknight. Sind appeared to be in bed and the TV was on. I started taking off my clothes. I suddenly heard her voice, "Hi, Fayd!" I put my shirt back on. I was not expecting her to be there. Sind was not there. He was out somewhere else.

I remember coming home one Saturday night on a weekend in which the girlfriend didn't come down. Sind and one of his friends were there. He had drunk too much alcohol that night and continued to have dry heaves. Once every five minutes, he would have to "throw up" in our trash can. That went on for an hour after I got there. He never drank that much again. (Or if he did, he didn't come back to the dorm room.)

Sind and I were roommates for just that one semester. I think he became roommates with his former Belen classmate for the Spring session. The next year, his girlfriend started attending ENMU in Portales. A friend of mine from the Theatre Department (the Dungeonmaster from that epic Dungeons and Dragons game) had become the manager of the local Kentucky Fried Chicken and Sind was one of his employees. He said that Sind was stringing his girlfriend along, telling her that he wouldn't marry her until she got back to her high school weight. Now, when I knew her, she was pretty skinny, so I don't know how she would be capable of losing more weight. I was surprised that he would act that way toward her.

I didn't deal much with Sind the year after that. I graduated and never saw him again. I was able to find him. He currently works as an AllState agent in Albuquerue, which he has been doing for almost 20 years. His photograph is on the website. He has gained a lot of weight. Apparently, his wife (who is not the same girlfriend he had in college) is also an agent and they run their own office. I assume they have children, but their Facebook pages are really scarce with any personal details.

But I would have I would have even less contact with the majority of my other roommates.

No comments:

Post a Comment