Thursday, April 2, 2015

Radio Tease #1: Mitz

(What's a Radio Tease? Click here!)

I will preface this post by stating that there are a lot of women who enjoy calling up and talking to DJs at radio stations. We all have sexy voices that give off a visual image that we're tall, good-looking studs. The reality is that most of us are pretty goofy-looking. Now, there are good-looking DJs, but they don't need to get their dates through the request line.

I had several conversations with women callers during my shifts at the station. Most of them just wanted to hear my voice talking directly to them. Mitz was the first one I came close to actually meeting. (This REALLY makes her a tease.) She was thin, had medium-length strawberry blonde hair and freckles.

I didn't realize it at the time, but I had seen Mitz once before. I was at the station for an air staff meeting. One of the other part-timers was Chid. His girlfriend had come with him. It was Mitz. He was having some kind of conversation with her outside the front door. He started coming inside and she just stood there and gave him the evil eye. I guess he told her she couldn't come in and she got upset about that. After she left, he started laughing to himself a little.

(A side note: Chid actually happened to be very good-looking. So much so that even Denz admitted to being attracted to him, even though she referred to him as a "mannequin." I don't think he picked Mitz up through the request line.)

Mitz would call me up from time to time. She would talk kind of flirty. It was rather flattering. However, I was never able to actually meet her. The closest I came was when she called and said she was going to be driving by the station when I was playing our Sunday afternoon syndicated programs. She told me what kind of car she would be driving and about what time she would be driving by. I looked out the window of the studio. I saw the car drive by and she stuck her hand out the window and waved at me. She drove by the station a second time and waved again. We had a very strict rule at the station about letting non-employees inside the station outside regular business hours. This was why Chid couldn't let her come in during that meeting and why I couldn't just let her come visit me in the studio. She was aware of the rule, so she didn't even ask. The bad thing was that she couldn't bother to park in the station lot at 6pm so I could meet her in person. It's possible she didn't like what she saw. I don't know, but she never did call me again.

But her story doesn't end there. About a year later, she became romantically involved with Tod. Tod's roommate Ked (who also worked at the station) once said that he tried to get Tod to go do something in town one night, but Tod didn't want to leave the house because Mitz said she was going to call. Ked theorized that Mitz was Tod's first real girlfriend. I guess the real issue was that Mitz still lived with her parents and she and Tod kind of had to sneak around behind their backs for them to be together.

He had told me that she had been involved with Chid before, along with several other local DJs. I was actually rather thankful I never met her in person. A little rule I had was to not get involved with any women who had hooked up with other DJs in the past. It's bad enough that the "radio circuit" in Clovis was rather competitive without hearing how good a kisser some other DJ from another station was. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that she actually did that.

I think Tod and Mitz broke up when he decided to return to Florida for a few weeks in the summer of 1986. I never heard him talk about her much after he came back. I can only guess she found another DJ to latch onto.

Even though I remember her full name, I was not able to locate her on the Internet. I can only imagine her as some cougar now trying to call and connect with the DJs in Clovis. Sometimes, you think some people will never change after you haven't seen them in almost 30 years.

Like I said earlier, Mitz was the first woman who called the station that I came close to meeting. There were others that I actually did meet and one that became Girlfriend #2. I will get to them in later posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment