Thursday, April 9, 2015

Ring Zone #3: Siz

I first met Siz in the fall of 1985 after she had been hired to be our newscaster at KZZO-FM in Clovis, NM. She came in to train in the studio because she was also going to take on some DJ duties. She was a couple of years older than me. She was somewhat cute, had medium-length red hair and was a little overweight. But she had a very perky personality. She grew up in Florida and was married to someone who was stationed at the Cannon Air Force Base. She had gotten married fairly soon after high school.

She had come to our station from KTQM. I didn't really have that much contact with her at first because she worked Monday through Friday. There were a few times I saw her when she worked Saturday mornings at 6am as I was ending my shift.

One morning, Siz came to work and had a guest with her. It was her older sister, Jaz. I found myself oddly attracted to Jaz. I didn't know why, because she wasn't really very pretty and had nowhere near Siz' cute personality. (The term today would be "Butterface.") I got to know her better later that night when I went to some station function at a restaurant. We were alone and talked for a good period of time. However, Jaz was just visiting from Florida, so it wasn't like I could date her or anything.

Some time later, Siz would talk about Jaz and all her boyfriend problems. I know I kept thinking that she should get her to move out here and hook me up.

After a while, Siz stopped working at the station and did the TV news for the local ABC affiliate. She told me that she went to the scene of a murder in which the victim had been burned to death. She said that the detective she was speaking to pointed out the body. She saw the charred remains and threw up on the spot.

She came back to KZZO to be a DJ. This was after I had become full time and had graduated from college. She worked six to midnight and I came on after her. Very soon after she started working, she became pregnant. It would be her first child. Since I didn't have much human contact outside the station, I started looking forward to coming to work, spending time and talking with her. Yeah, it was a crush, but I knew I couldn't do a thing about it. All I could do was enjoy the time we spent together.

But that doesn't mean I had her all to myself. As it turned out, Tod had a similar crush on her. I would often come to the station before my shift and find Tod hanging around talking to her. I got really jealous, but I knew I couldn't let on what was happening inside my mind. Another time, I bought some blueberry muffins at the store and brought some to work to share with her. However, she spent the whole time talking to this guy on the phone who was interested in getting a job at the station. She was talking to him in the smae manner that she talked to me and Tod. I got so angry that I ate all the muffins myself. (We hired that guy. He wound up breaking format and he got fired. I was glad to see someone actually get the boot for that.)

Daz used to work with Siz at KTQM. Daz said that she was rather mean toward her. She said that right before a shift, something unsettling happened and the person working the KWKA side told her he would cover for her. She said Siz gave her a mouthful about taking the night off when she was supposed to work. Tod didn't believe her, but I was aware that almost everyone at KTQM had a tendency to start conflicts. Not only did they target competing radio stations, they would turn on each other from time to time.

Prior to giving birth, Siz took a leave of absence. She had a girl and never came back to the station. I called her a few times and we were supposed to meet for lunch once so I could meet her daughter, but she canceled at the last minute. About a year later, I was at the mall and I ran into her and her little girl. She was already walking. That was the last time I saw Siz.

Some time later, I was walking through the Walmart across the street from my apartment. I saw a familar face. It was Siz' sister Jaz. I said, "Hi, Jaz!" after she walked past me. She turned around and didn't recognize me at first. I had to refresh her memory. She said she was wondering who in the world knew her there in Clovis. We didn't have much of a conversation beyond that. I never saw her again, either.

Years have gone by and I was able to find Siz on Facebook. She stayed married to the same guy and had two more children. They're all grown up now. They currently live in Lusby, MD. But I have no idea what they do there.

I was also able to find Jaz. She lives in Fort Lauderdale, FL. It doesn't look like she ever got married or had children.

I have no interest in contacting either one.

No comments:

Post a Comment