Thursday, January 3, 2019

Internet Tease #2: Norz

After being romantically involved with a woman who weighed more than 300 pounds, I knew I no longer found overweight women unattractive. In my efforts to try to meet women on the Internet, I decided to specifically seek out overweight women because I knew I had a better chance with them. (Even though my overall experience with Jolz was not all that positive.)

I went into an AOL chat room called "Big & Beautiful." I found a woman who had the word "Smart" in her username. I asked her if she was really smart. She said she had a Ph.D. Yep, I'd call that smart.

Her name was Norz and she worked at the University of Washington in Seattle. This was where she got her Ph.D. in Political Science. She had recently achieved that degree and was working as an Academic Counselor. She also taught some classes. I was afraid she was going to think she was too smart for me, but she continued chatting.

She was 32 years old and Hispanic. She lived by herself. She grew up in Bakersfield and her father still lived there on a farm. She described herself as a Christian. She shared a photograph with me. She looked cute, but it featured her with a child who had been partially cropped out of the photo. She said that if she shared the photo with a guy she didn't really like, she would say that was one of her five children.

We had many wonderful IM chats on AOL. One night, I had started watching the pilot episode of "Alias." I went over to the computer to see if anything was happening on AOL. Norz was on, so we started chatting. I still "Alias" on in the background and at one point, I could hear a song by Peter Gabriel. All of a sudden, Norz asked if I liked Peter Gabriel. I wrote, "You must be watching 'Alias.'" I thought that was interesting.

A little later on, I wrote that I was about to go on a vacation in a few weeks. I was going to go to Phoenix to see my Mom, to Artesia to see my Dad, then to Denver to catch up with my old friends. She wrote, "You mean I won't get to chat with you then?" Suddenly, I realized that she probably really liked me. I had to ask, "Do you want to talk on the phone?" She said, "Sure!" I gave her my phone number and she called me.

I was surprised by the soft sound of her voice coming through the phone. It was very soothing to listen to. She told me that she was frequently complimented on her voice and that a few guys had asked her out without know what she looked like. But they were disappointed when they met her face to face.

Late one night, my phone rang. She just wanted to talk to me. I thought this was cool. I was usually the one who had to reach out to the woman. This was a pleasant turnaround. I was beginning to think this was going to lead somewhere.

About a week before my vacation, I had a proposition. I told her that I hadn't told anybody in Denver yet that I was coming out there. I thought I could come up to Seattle instead to meet her. She said she would have to think about it. The next day, she told me she wasn't ready to meet now, but she would let me know when she was. I accepted that and continued with my plans.

I drove to Phoenix and spent time with Mom and Dend. At one point, I left so I could call Norz. We talked for about an hour. I also called her from Dad's house when I went to see him and Gred. We really seemed to enjoy our time on the phone and online. At the time, she thought we was going to come to Bakersfield for Thanksgiving and there was a chance we would be able to meet then. However, her father and brother decided to come up to Seattle to see her instead, so that didn't happen.

And then I lost my job. When I told Norz about it, I suggested again that this was a good time for me to try to come meet her in Seattle, since I had a good sum of money from my severance package. Again, she declined. I was really starting to get irritated.

But it all came down at Thanksgiving. She didn't call, e-mail or connect with me on AOL once. I shot off a e-mail that indicated I was rather disappointed that she was ignoring me. I felt like she was doing that because she didn't want her family to know anything about me because I didn't have a job and it would appear like I was trying to leech off of her.

She finally e-mailed me back and told me her father had to be taken to the hospital while he was in Seattle. He recovered, but she didn't have any time to communicate to me. I felt stupid for that. She decided she didn't want to pursue any kind of a relationship with me and shut me out. I felt even more stupid.

I tried to chat with her online a couple of times after that, but she always cut it off short. It was definitely over. I was very heartbroken over this. The bad part was that I had become rather fond of talking to someone with a similar level of intellect and knew it was going to be hard to find someone else who could do that AND like me.

I managed to keep track of her. About a year later, she became an Assistant Professor a CSU-Chico. We were both living in the same state for about four years. Then, she moved back to UW and worked her way up through the administration there. She appears to still be there, but I haven't found any updates for the last couple of years. These were easy to find because she posted her resume online in 2015. I also found some photos. She still looks about the same as when she shared photos of herself. It doesn't look like she ever got married or had kids.

But that's not my fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment