Thursday, October 31, 2013

A stupid stunt

The night before we started going to Central Elementary, I did something really idiotic. Idiotic enough that if it was on YouTube, the word "Fail" would be in the title.

My mother taught at Park Junior High School. The teachers decided to hold an ice cream social on the evening after the second day of school. The teachers could bring their families to enjoy some ice cream.

After we had eaten ice cream, Loyd and I went outside to hang out with the other kids. At the front of the school was a concrete porch and steps with metal handrails. We were sliding down the handrails, which were only a few feet long, as they only had to cover about five or six steps.

I decided to try to slide down the handrail headfirst, thinking I would be able to stop myself before I got to the bottom. Guess what? I wasn't able to stop and fell on my face on the concrete. I don't remember feeling any pain, but knew that I had scratched up my glasses. Come to find out that the glasses had created an inch-long gash in my forehead above my right eye. We went to Mom and Dad and after much discussion with some of the other teachers, they took me to the emergency room.

The doctor said I was going to be okay, but he was going to have to give me three stitches. First, he put this stuff in the wound. He said it would sting for 10 seconds. That was the longest 10 seconds of my life, but he was right, it stopped hurting after a short time. He gave me the stitches and told me to come back in a couple of weeks to have them removed.

I was kind of disappointed that the stitches were not that obvious, as my hair at the time covered the wound. I was hoping I was going to get to freak out the new kids I was going to meet the next day. I thought the stitches would make me look tough. (Actually, the stitches just made me look like some uncoordinated twerp.)

No comments:

Post a Comment