Monday, October 28, 2013

Another big change in the family

During the summer before I started 5th grade, my parents decided that they were going to buy a house in Artesia. The reason being that the rent was being raised on the two-bedroom house where we lived. My parents paid $10 a month and it was being increased to $50, so they figured they could just go ahead and buy a house if they were going to have to pay that amount. Loyd and I didn't want to move. We considered that house in the country our home and we weren't ready to go to the "big city."

We spent about a month looking at houses. It was weird to go into homes while people were still living there. We finally found a house that Mom and Dad liked and we moved in. It had two stories and a basement. There was definitely a lot more room and a lot less yard to take care of.

When we lived in the country in the two bedroom house, Loyd and I shared the same bedroom. The new house had a master bedroom downstairs and two bedrooms upstairs. We thought we were finally going to get our own rooms. We didn't. Mom decided that we would still share a room and the other room upstairs would be the guest bedroom.

A few years later, I got fed up with having to share the room with Loyd, so I started sleeping in the guest room. I guess Loyd didn't like that I got to sleep in the other room, so he would go to bed even earlier in the guest room. After awhile, Mom and Dad just went ahead and took out the bed in the guest room and put Loyd's bed in there. I got to stay in our original room.

One funny thing is that we had moved into a house with two bathrooms. One upstairs and the other in the downstairs bedroom. My father hoped that this meant he wasn't going to have to always wait to go to the bathroom when he needed it. No, he was wrong. There would be several times when both bathrooms were occupied, so he would have to go to the gas station across the street and use their facilities.

Moving into the new house caused a new set of problems for Loyd and me. You'll see that in a future blog posting very soon, but not tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment