Friday, October 25, 2013

I assaulted my brother

I'm not proud of the fact that I caused my brother Loyd some major pain when he was seven years old. However, in my mind, things had gotten out of hand that particular day and I dealt with it the best way I knew how.

One day, my Aunt Pand and Uncle Rid and their children Wend, Sted, Grid and Mad came to visit. Wend was 4 years older than me, Sted, the only girl of the group, was 2 years older and Grid was 1 year older. Mad was 7 years younger than me. Remember that my brother Loyd hated being younger than me and wanted to hang out more with the older cousins. Chilling with Mad was not going to cut it for him. So, he came up with a plan to sort of put me in my place. (I should add that our cousins were pretty good at giving both of us equal attention. It was not like I completely monopolized them.)

Anytime I said something to my cousins, he would say, "Fayd's stupid" and other comments along that line, like, "Fayd doesn't know what he's talking about because he's stupid" and "Fayd's the stupidest person in the world!"

I'd had enough of this, so I went and told Mom and Dad what was going on. They were enjoying the company of Pand and Rid and pretty much ignored me.

Loyd continued with his "Fayd is stupid" campaign. I got really fed up, so I picked up a wooden baseball bat on the ground and threw it at him real hard. It hit him square in the head. (Please note that I was not holding the bat when it hit him. I wasn't trying to bash his skull in.) I immediately felt bad for doing it.

Everybody started freaking out. Mom and Dad kept yelling at me and asking why I did that. I started crying and said, "I don't know." I guess they forgot about me complaining about Loyd's behavior earlier.

For whatever reason, a decision was made not to take Loyd to the emergency room. Pand just advised Mom and Dad not to let Loyd go to sleep for awhile, or else he might not wake up. Loyd turned out to be okay afterward.

I don't know if Loyd got the message, but he never called me stupid after that. However, I believe it caused him to find more subtle ways to undermine my intelligence. Even to this day, when talking to others in my presence, he will say something regarding my character that makes me look not so bright. Even worse is that he will do that and I might not realize until later that he had just insulted me again. He likely did this on purpose to begin with, but has now been doing it for so long that he just does it without really thinking about it.

Since that incident, no one has ever brought it up again, not even Loyd. I'd be willing to bet that no one remembers anything that transpired before I hit him with the baseball bat, but they'll all remember him getting smacked and how it was my fault. I keep hoping that he'll ask about it, but so far, he hasn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment