Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Girlfriend #3: Bez (Part 2)

So, Bez and I had gone on our first date (as friends). I was definitely hoping that we would be more than "just friends" and was getting signals that she wanted that as well. Very soon after, I had moved into my own apartment. My parents had been waiting for that day so they could bring up the stuff I had left at their house when I moved out of Clovis, NM. In fact, they came up the very next weekend.

I decided I would like them to meet Bez, especially after the experience they had with Marz. She was kind of hesitant at first, but I guess she could see this was important to me, so she agreed to go with us to eat and to a movie.

I told my parents about Bez before they came up. When I told Mom she was 28 years old, she said, "That's kind of old for you, isn't it." (Yeah, Marz was 4 years younger.) I guess Mom was afraid that she was really getting up there in age and wouldn't be able to produce grandchildren. (Remember, Mom was 21 when I was born.) At the time, I kept trying to emphasize the fact that Bez and I were just friends and it wasn't anything serious.

My parents came to see my apartment. Dad said something about me having two pillows on my bed. Mom reminded him that I had said that Bez and and were just friends. Later on, we went out to pick up Bez. She was still in her room getting ready. At the time, Bez' paternal grandmother was staying with them. My parents got to meet her parents and her grandmother. They seemed to get along well with Bez' parents.

We went out to eat at Red Lobster. At the station, we ran an ad for some restaurant with a jingle that featured a chant that went, "Who's got crab legs? (beat, beat, beat) WHO'S got crab legs? (beat, beat, beat) WHO'S GOT CRAB LEGS?" It wasn't a Red Lobster commercial, but it still made me want to try crab legs. (It turns out it was an ad for Sea Galley, which had a restaurant in Denver in 1988. I remember seeing the print ad, but I never saw the TV commercial before I posted that link. If I had, I probably wouldn't have wanted to eat crab legs.)

Bez had to show me how to crack open the legs and use the fork to get at the meat. It probably seemed to my Mom and Dad that we were kind of flirting with each other. I guess we were, but I was just trying to work my way to the meaty part of the legs.

We went out to see the movie "Punchline." Bez sat between me and Mom. Dad was on the other side of Mom. We liked the movie okay, but Mom was kind of disappointed. We drove Bez home. I walked her to the front door and we hugged for a bit before she went in. She said she really liked my parents, especially my Mom. Mom and Dad drove me over to Uncle Ord's house, where I had parked my car. They had to leave the next day, so we said our goodbyes then.

After they had gotten home, Mom called me and told me that she really liked Bez a lot and hoped that things would work out so that she would become a part of our family. However, she was kind of concerned that we didn't hold hands or anything during the movie. Mom was the one who got that we were just friends before she met her, so I was suprised that I had to remind her that we weren't really boyfriend/girlfriend yet.

Bez said she was interested in going to see the film "Bird," which was the closing presentation of the Denver International Film Festival. I was interested in seeing that and was surprised that she asked me to go with her. The tickets included the ability to get into the post-festival party at a nightclub called 23 Parrish in Denver. Without any prior discussion between us, we both decided to get really dressed up for the movie.

I'm particular about trying to show up early for everything. For class, for work, for social activities. I showed up 15 minutes early for this date. Bez wasn't ready yet, but I didn't think there was anything wrong with being early. Later, she told me she didn't like me showing up early and told me to never do it again in the future. ("In the future? That means you plan for us to go out more.")

We went to the movie at Landmark's Esquire Theatre. I had been there before, because that was where I saw my first foreign film in a theatre. I had seen "Wings of Desire." (More than a year later, I would be working for the Landmark Theatre chain.) We were lucky enough to find two empty seats together in the back row next to the aisle. I went and got us a soda. During the first 15 minutes of the movie, I reached over and held her hand. I could tell that my hand was still cold from holding the soda. She didn't seem to mind and we continued watching the movie.

After it was over, we went to the nightclub and danced to a couple of songs before deciding to call it a night. She actually thought I was a pretty good dancer.

I drove her home and walked her to the front door. We started hugging before I left. We hugged for a long time. Originally, I was planning to just give her a quick peck on the cheek before leaving, but after I pecked her, I kissed her some more and worked my way toward her mouth. We enjoyed a passionate kiss. I had to leave, but I knew at that moment, we were officially boyfriend/girlfriend.

One of the thoughts running through my head as I was driving home was that I had managed to do something that I never thought I'd be able to do: I actually STOLE a woman from some guy. After having someone do that to me, it felt pretty good and I didn't feel the least bit sorry for the other guy. Bez told me later that she went ahead and broke up with him.

Since this is the second post about Bez, I'll go ahead and reveal the major flaw with her. (Remember that my previous girlfriend was blind.) Bez actually had two flaws. The first was that she apparently had the mentality of a 14-year-old girl. I didn't notice this at first and no one in her family let on that this was an issue. She was able to function as an adult, but from time to time, she would do and say things that only a teenager would conjure up. The second thing was that, according to Mom and Loyd, she was ugly. I only saw her as beautiful, but they had issues with her nose (which I will admit was larger than normal for a woman). Years after we broke up, Loyd told me about how Mom felt about her and that she had made a comment that she was going to have to pay for nose jobs for the grandchildren. I was surprised because of what Mom said about having her join our family after the first time she met her. Understand that my Mom really liked Bez as a person and at the very least, she couldn't accuse me of being shallow, but she wanted a daughter-in-law who was more attractive.

Bez and I had a very good relationship. But as I will go into more detail in the next couple of posts, it ended in a very surprising manner and the aftermath was rather unbelievable.

You'll see what I'm talking about starting tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment