Wednesday, October 8, 2014

College Enemy: Toilethead, Part 3

In the previous two posts, I discussed the good and bad experiences I had with Toilethead. All the abuse and degradation he put me through would have been completely worth it if I had been able to watch TV with my son and say, "You see that guy? I went to college with him." Now, I'm reduced to saying, "Yeah, that was a very inspiring story about that college football player. But he grew up and got into trouble with the SEC for an alleged pump and dump stock scheme and this guy I went to college with was his CFO!"

After he graduated from college, Toilethead did a lot of things that were of questionable morals. The first thing I was aware of was his involvement in the non-profit organization Beer Drinkers of New Mexico, a state offshoot of Beer Drinkers of America. When articles about the organization started making the rounds in the media, he was listed as the spokesperson. The concept of the group was to improve the image of people who drink beer, much like how the NRA tries to improve the image of gun owners. They were working to let it be known that there is nothing wrong with someone sitting back and enjoying a beer.

The national organization was a lobbying group financed by the major brewers aimed at trying to keep the taxes on alcoholic beverages from going up, among other things. When I saw his picture in the paper, my first thought was along the lines that he just wanted to keep being a frat boy, even after graduating from college.

And that turned out to be a very accurate assessment. When I started searching for him on-line, I found that he continued to be very active in his fraternity on a national level, even serving in a presidential-type position for a period of time. I left all my old organizations from college behind when I graduated. I just figured that was in my past and I didn't need to deal with it anymore. I'm just surprised that he could let go of his dream to be an actor, but never let go of the fraternity, probably because no one at the fraternity ever asked him to go down on them. (See yesterday's post.)

After that, he set up some kind of sports and entertainment agency in Albuquerque. This went on for awhile. At one point, Rod told me that Toilethead had come into the Hasting's where he worked and he rang him up, but he didn't really say anything to him and he didn't seem to notice who he was, even though they were both freshmen at ENMU the same year.

Then he became some kind of financial advisor. As I mentioned in the first paragraph above, he served as a CFO and was among those who got in trouble with the SEC. Everyone involved had to pay fines, but no one admitted any wrongdoing. Some time after that, the head football coach at a major university was released from his contract. There were issues regarding having the university pay out the rest of his contract. Toilethead advised that the coach could receive the money due him from the charitable foundation that was set up in his name. Now, I'm not an expert on this, but to me, that was wrong. I mean, the foundation is supposed to help out those in need, not provide a golden parachute for an underperforming coach.

And there is probably a lot more that Toilethead did that I did not uncover on the Internet. And there's probably going to be a lot more that he's going to do.

Some time ago, I considered sending him an e-mail letting him know how disappointed I was that he chose a different path than the one he wanted to follow in college. I wanted to tell him that because of his talent, his presence kept a lot of people at ENMU from being able to grow as artists. He didn't need that growth, as he was already at the level most of us aspired for. He really didn't need Eastern, but other students really could have used that experience before they went out in the world.

But I'm pretty certain he would delete anything that had my name on it without reading it first.

No comments:

Post a Comment