Wednesday, October 1, 2014

College Friend: Bid, Part 2

I kept in frequent contact with Bid for a few years after graduating college. He always sounded excited to hear from me. I don't know if he really was, but he certainly made it appear like he was.

For a few years after college, Bid worked regularly in the chorus of an opera group. He went around the country and performed in productions of various plays and musicals, but usually came back home to Chicago. I could normally get a hold of him by calling his father there. It's interesting, because I know him as "Bid." But when I called his father, I had to ask for "Bid, Jr."

Once Bid told me about a TV-movie he got cast in. He told me the title and that a particular well-known actress was in it. He told me he played a pimp. I actually came across the movie late one night when I was living in Denver. However, I never saw him in it. (I must admit I fell asleep first.) A couple of months later, there was a story in Denver's alternative weekly Westword about a TV-movie being shot around town. The author of the article was an extra. He played a pimp. I realized that Bid's role was probably also as an extra.

Bid once called me in San Diego and said he was performing in a touring production of "Ain't Misbehavin'." They were going to be in San Marcos, CA. I asked him if I could get a free ticket. He said, "I make a percentage of the ticket sales. No, I am not giving out free tickets." I couldn't blame him, but I was flat broke and probably couldn't have even afforded to drive up to San Marcos at that time.

When I started doing music, Bid was one of the few people I turned to for a review of my songwriting abilities. I sent him a cassette. He was rather critical of my work, but everything he told me was the absolute truth. His advice helped me to make a lot of improvements on my next project. However, it still did not make me rich and famous.

After awhile, I found I could no longer keep up with Bid's whereabouts. We lost touch. Every time I looked for him on the Internet, I discovered that I was constantly six months behind him. I was always reading about productions that he was a part of, but they were always in the past. I could never find where he was at that moment in time. I saw that he had played Othello and had done a production of "Dreamgirls" in Dallas (for which he received really good reviews).

This changed a little less than five years ago, when ENMU issued its first Alumni Directory. In there was his phone number and e-mail address. I sent him an e-mail. He responded. He lived in Seattle, WA. He had achieved a goal of his to perform in all 50 states. He was looking to get out of the live performance aspect and do something else, like radio or voice work. He has the ability to do very well in those areas. But even though I worked at a newsradio station at the time, I had no idea how he could get started doing that.

Afterwards, we became friends on Facebook. Occasionally on his profile, he will write about what show he's doing next. It would be nice if I could just get on a plane to go out to see him. I would definitely enjoy seeing how much he's grown as a performer. He was stunning and energetic in college. I get the idea that he was able to sustain and improve upon that level throughout his entire career.

Something I do have to mention that he looks REALLY GOOD. I thought I had a youthful look about me, but he appears ageless for someone in his 50's. His profile photo on Facebook may be a few years old, but I'm certain he still looks the same way. I'm also certain he maintained being in great shape all these years.

Interestingly enough, he is the only college friend I have that I never saw again after he graduated. But it really is nice to keep in contact with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment