Monday, October 15, 2018

A Quiet Moment of Reflection

In this blog, I've written about a lot of crazy stuff that has happened to me. I don't often write about little things that have had a lot of impact, but this happens to be one of those times.

In 2001, I was hanging out at Lestat's with Fraz and a couple of her friends. Jesd was a woman who was a little younger than us and Esd was a man a little older. I knew them fairly well from the barbecue events that Fraz would occasionally organize at her home. (And there was one at Jesd's home.) I don't recall if Fraz invited me to come to Lestat's or if they were there when I happened to come one evening. (I only lived a few blocks away. I went there A LOT!)

For the most part, the conversation centered around discussing scandalous situations involving celebrities. I refrained from getting too involved and just listened to the three of them go on and on about people we didn't know. I honestly didn't have anything better to do that moment.

All of a sudden, Esd said, "Hey, do you know what my HIV counselor told me today? He said that half of the gay men in San Diego are HIV positive!" I immediately thought, "Oh, wow! We're talking about something really interesting. This is a topic that really matters!"

And then I started thinking back to when I was in college. At the time, I didn't think I was a different person than I was in high school. I hadn't felt like I had changed that much in my attitude or in the way I thought about people. Because of this, I figured I was always going to be the same person. Everything else around me would change, but I would remain just as I am, just as I was and just as I would be.

I realized that if the person I was 15 years earlier had been sitting at a table with someone who indicated he had HIV or AIDS, I would have stood up and walked away. Not only was I ignorant about the disease, but I was still homophobic. I was aware that several of the male students I considered friends back then were likely gay, but as long as they didn't talk about that aspect of their lives, I could deal with them as if they were straight. I did not want them to confirm my suspicions. But they never knew this was going on in my head. They probably thought I was cool with it. I wasn't. I should be thankful that they were probably a little scared to discuss that, but it stinks that, because of people like me, they didn't feel like they could be completely honest with their friends or themselves.

So yes, I had changed. I was now comfortable being around LGBTQ people without being concerned about me reacting in a negative way. I had learned to accept people for who they were, regardless of their sexual orientation. I looked forward to hearing more about this HIV revelation and how it was going to impact Esd.

And then they went right back to dishing dirt on celebrities. DAMN!

No comments:

Post a Comment