Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Personal Ad Teases #11 & #12: Donz and Thez

I've decided to tell the stories of Donz and Thez together because they both had one thing in common with me: They both owned Daewoos, just like me!

This was also during the period in which I was making more of an effort to date women closer to my age. They were both in their early 30s and neither one had children. (But I don't recall if either one was married.) They both had jobs and lived on their own. I don't remember what either one did for a living. I found them through the San Diego Reader.

Donz was tall, attractive and had long brown hair. The one thing I remember from our conversation is that she had been in an auto accident. The air bag deployed. She happened to have turned her head when the bag smacked her in the side of the face. She said it really hurt and she had a bruise on her face, but she was glad she wasn't injured any more than that.

Even though I thought the meeting went very well, Donz never called me again. I don't know what happened to her.

I remember Thez a lot more clearly. In her ad, she mentioned she was looking for someone with liberal leanings. When she called me, she asked who I voted for in the last Presidential election. I told her Ralph Nader. She laughed and said, "You ARE liberal!"

We decided to meet at Claire de Lune. She was attractive, had porcelain skin, long blonde hair and dark penciled eyebrows. One of the the things she told me was that she didn't really didn't watch TV. I didn't have a problem with that. Even though I watched a lot of TV at the time, it wasn't something I needed to do with someone next to me. I thought we were having a pretty good conversation and I looked forward to getting to see her again.

But as you might have expected, that didn't happen.

And that, in a nutshell, was what was so frustrating about these encounters. I think things are going well. The women are being very responsive and appear to be interested when we meet. We part on positive terms with some indication they will call me soon. And then I never hear back from them. I can only assume I wasn't the only guy they planned on meeting. I made it a point to never ask how many men they called back from the personal ad. I didn't want to know for a fact there was competition.

I can only guess that it came down to looks. There wasn't a lot I could do about that.

But I did run into Thez a couple more times. I had gone into the Rite Aid on Adams Avenue to get something. I went out to my car and started driving off. I saw Thez walking through the lot toward the store. I wanted to see if she would say something to me, so I re-parked the car and went into the store. I managed to find her inside. I walked around so I could nonchalantly go past her. I said, "Hi, Thez! How are you doing?" She just looked at me and smiled, but didn't say anything. I just kept walking.

A couple of years later, I was at the Budget Car Sales in Kearny Mesa getting my car serviced. In the waiting room, the TV was showing "The Price is Right." A woman in the room said, "Wow! Is this still on the air? I don't watch TV, so I don't know." I then recognized her. I said to her, "Your name is Thez." Her eyes widened. I said I was Fayd and I had met her some time ago. She remembered some little detail I mentioned in our original conversation. She had been there to get her Daewoo serviced, but it started making a lot of noise as soon as she left the lot, so she had to bring it back in to have them work on it some more. I never saw her again and I have no idea where she is at now.

But like me, I'm pretty certain that neither she nor Donz have their Daewoos anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment