Monday, October 1, 2018

Personal Ad Tease #10: Niz

When I decided to get a cell phone, there was one main reason I wanted one: I figured that, at the very least, I'd be able to use it so that I wouldn't be missing calls when women from the personal ads were trying to contact me. There had been a couple who had called and left messages on my machine but never called back again. I thought it would be good to just leave the cell phone number. That way, if someone called me, I knew it would be a personal ad response.

I was excited about the prospect of always being able to have my phone with me. I could even have it at work. The only problem at work was that if it rang, I had to run into the break room before I could answer it. Fortunately for this first round, no one called me during the day.

The first night I got a call from a personal ad, I was out on a "date" with Tez. It was a Friday night. I knew of a folk/ensemble group who performed at Twigg's Coffeehouse that she might enjoy. I had turned my ringer off for the performance. In the middle of a song, I could feel it vibrating. I immediately got up and went out of the performance area.

The woman's name was Niz. We talked for a little bit. I told her I was out with a friend and she said she would call back the next night. I decided not to make any plans. She actually did call back the next night and we had a very good conversation. Up to this point, this was the longest I'd talked to anyone on my cell phone.

She was 31 years old. She described herself as being Asian/Hispanic. To myself, I thought that Asian women and Hispanic women were very attractive, so I expected she would be particularly good-looking. She told me she worked in the office of a San Diego City Councilmember. I rattled through the names of several Councilmembers, but didn't figure out which one she worked for until she told me. "Still," I said, "you have to be impressed that I can name so many Councilmembers." Yes, she was actually impressed. The one she worked for had just assumed office earlier in 2001. She said she was the only Asian person who worked for him.

We decided to meet the next week. Since she worked Downtown, I figured we could meet at Starbucks in Horton Plaza. We picked a day and she said she would be wearing a purple dress suit. I told her what I was going to be wearing. I got there first. She came along soon after, wearing exactly what she said. Since she kept referring to herself as Asian, I expected her to really look Asian. But she didn't. And she didn't even really look Hispanic, either. If she had been some stranger walking by, I would have thought she was a regular Caucasian woman. She didn't have any classic Asian features, not even in the shape of her eyes. She did have brown eyes and dark hair.

So, she wasn't as attractive as I was expecting, but she was very presentable and definitely better looking than some of my ex-girlfriends, but again, not someone I would have take immediate notice of. However, this was not a dealbreaker. We went inside Starbucks and got something to drink.

I told her more about myself and she told me more about her job. She had to spend every weekend making appearances on behalf of the Councilmember. She told me that it had recently been her birthday and the Councilmember had a little surprise celebration for her in the office. And the way she talked about it, it almost sounded like he had done that to kind of flirt with her. She said the gesture did make her feel special and that it made her blush. That's all I needed, competition from a politician.

She gave me her phone number and I gave her my landline. A few days later, she called me. She said she was calling from her father's house. We talked for a little bit without making any specific plans. I saw the name on the caller ID. The last name was obviously Filipino. My first thought was, "Wait. That's not really Asian." I mean there are some Filipinos who have classic Asian features and others who do not. She definitely did not. Even though I felt like she had deceived me somewhat, it wasn't enough to dissuade me from pursuing a possible relationship.

A few days later, I called her up. "Hey, it's Fayd! How are you doing?" "I HAVE A BOYFRIEND!" And she hung up the phone. Well, I can't be mad at her for stringing me along.

It did make me wonder if the boyfriend happened to be the Councilmember and she was looking at me to be camouflage. I have no way of finding that out. However, I do know that she is not who the Councilmember married and had kids with.

Even though I knew her last name at one point, I don't remember it now. That means I don't know what happened to her.

But the disappointing thing about this was that I thought that I was going to finally get to have an actual adult relationship. I wanted to be with someone who was independent, not living with her parents and had her own life which she was fully in control of.

I would continue to pursue women like this, all with the same level of success. More of those stories coming up tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment