Monday, March 3, 2014

Girlfriend #1: Roz, Part 2

So, I had gotten past the hardest part of the date: Actually getting a girl to go out with me. I thought the rest of it would be fairly straight-forward, but I was wrong.

One thing I knew was to not trust anything I had seen on TV or the movies. All I knew was that I needed to take her to dinner, then to the dance. Who knew what was going to happen after that? Who knew what was going to happen before that? I didn't know, but some people were aware of the pattern that was about to transpire.

I had made an assumption that Roz was pretty smart. Roz appeared to be very articulate and because she was one of the senior girls who was selling Homecoming Mums, I thought she was one of the top students. I turned out to be wrong. I found out she was actually struggling to stay in school.

I also thought she was fairly conservative. Her father was one of the head honchos at Artesia Christian College. Her family was indeed very religious. I never saw that as a bad thing. Except that I eventually found out she often acted out against those standards, to the point of promiscuity and running away from home. I didn't know about that until later in the relationship.

There was about two weeks that passed between me asking Roz to the Homecoming Dance and the actual event. We started spending more time together. I would drive her to Drama class. I would drive her home after Drama class or after rehearsal. Once she and Rad came into the house with me. We came in through the back door. My father was leaving out the front door. He just barely missed meeting her. Loyd was there and got to meet her. That would be the first time that Rad would meet Loyd. We left pretty soon after that.

At some point, Dad asked me if I had a date to the Homecoming Dance. I told him I did. Dad said it was bad timing because my Mom's cousin was getting married that same weekend. I really didn't want to miss out on my first date.

After hearing about my first date, Mom warned me that I had to be prepared because most high school romances didn't last longer than a couple of weeks. I knew this wasn't true because of Byd and his girlfriend. They had been together several months. I was hoping for longevity like that. I had no interest in trying to go out with as many girls as possible. I knew I was going to be lucky just to get one to like me.

With us hanging around each other more and more, I was worried about how fast things were moving. In all reality, they were moving very slowly, but for me, I didn't want to things to spin out of control. On the day that we were going to do the first performance of "Arsenic and Old Lace," I walked out to my car, thinking about how things were between me and Roz. All of a sudden, I noticed someone had written something on my windshield. It said, "Fayd, I love you!" It appeared to be written in glue or some other substance. It was hard to scrape off.

Roz came to the car and saw it. She said she didn't do it, but was going to be mad at whoever did. We drove to Drama Class. Other people saw the car and asked Roz if she wrote it. She kept saying she didn't do it, but she was going to get whoever did.

After class, I cleaned the stuff off my windshield. Roz said she thought it was wax. I then went home to get ready for the performance. While Roz was not in the play, she was on the crew and was one of the prompters who would help in case someone forgot their line. I showed up to put on my make up. After I was finished, I went out to my car. Roz was there. She admitted that she was the one who wrote on my windshield. She showed me the wax she used. She said that she really felt that way about me. So many thoughts were going through my mind. Was she in love with me? Did she just love me as a friend? Why did she lie to me? Is this good or is this bad. I didn't know what to say, so I didn't say anything. She thought I was mad at her and locked herself in my car and rolled up the window.

I had to keep telling her that I was not mad at her, but it was hard because I had to keep shouting through the window. She finally got out of the car and we talked. She accepted that I was not mad. We hugged and then we started holding hands, with interlocking fingers. I know my hand started sweating right away.

I was only on for a couple of scenes during the play. Between my scenes, I went and sat beside Roz and held her hand. I couldn't believe that our relationship had gotten to this point.

It would get a little further the next night. I'll cover that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment