Monday, March 10, 2014

Girlfriend #1: Roz, Part 7

I continued to have encounters with Roz after we broke up. As I mentioned in Friday's post, she wasn't in Drama class after Christmas break. I hardly ever saw her during that semester. That probably helped on my road to romantic recovery.

The one time I remember seeing her during that semester, she came up to me in the hall. She handed me her senior autograph book. She wanted me to write something in it. I didn't know what to think. During my next class, I couldn't help but try to figure out what it meant. She was smiling when she handed me the book. Was this an opportunity for us to get back together? Inside the book, she had pressed the Homecoming mum I had bought from her to give to her. If she hated me so much, why did she keep this souvenir?

I took the book with me to Dairy Queen. All during lunch, I agonized over what it was I was going to write. I thought that if I wrote the right thing, she might consider going out with me again. I know I wrote something to the effect that she was my first girlfriend and I didn't know what I was doing. I did not write that I hoped we would get back together. I found her later and handed her the book. I did not speak to her again for the rest of the semester.

In a separate incident, my brother Loyd decided to take part in this March of Dimes relay. Participants were split up into teams and each team member had to run a mile along the route. The rest of the team would ride on the bus while each member ran. Loyd said that Roz was on his team and was on the bus, but they didn't talk to each other. Loyd said Roz was not able to finish her mile and had to get back on the bus. He wasn't able to finish his mile, either.

At the end of the school year, the student newspaper printed the names and pictures of all the graduating seniors. Her name and photo were not among them. I thought this was odd, but I found out later that she didn't graduate. She didn't make good enough grades. Because I had been elected to the student council for my junior year, I was one of the ushers at graduation. I did not see her there.

At the beginning of the next school year, the administration decided to have the high school students do college-style registration. The seniors, juniors and sophomores would show up at a certain time on a certain day, figure out their schedules and line up for the teachers and classes they wanted. Since I was going to be in student council, I was called upon to volunteer for the registration. As such, I got to pre-register for my classes without having to go through the whole mess that everyone else was doing.

The seniors came first. After about a half hour, we had just about everyone show up. There were a few folders left over for those who did not arrive for the orientation. I noticed one of the folders had the name "Roz" on it, but had a different last name. After a little bit, I started getting curious to see if it was the same Roz. I looked inside and saw a note to Roz that said since she only took the first semester of Drama last year, she could take it again this year, making it count as a solid English credit and that would help her graduate. IT WAS THE SAME ROZ!

This meant she had gotten married within the last three months. I knew there had to be an interesting story there, but I never learned it. Roz never showed up for school.

A couple of months later, I was at a convenience store getting gas. While I was waiting in line to pay for the gas, I saw Roz in line behind me. I don't know if she saw me, but I just kept quiet. She had grown her hair long and appeared to be pregnant. I went out to pump gas. There was some guy on the other side of the pump waiting by his car. I saw Roz go up to him and tell him she had paid for the gas. I had never seen this guy before. He was Hispanic, wore glasses and had a thin mustache. I would never see him again.

I mentioned the skank in the previous post who was the messenger in the breakup between Roz and me. That skank was in choir my junior year. She once came up and asked me why I never talked to her. I didn't really reply. She asked me if it had to do with what happened with Roz. I confirmed that had something to do with it. Later in the year, Roz came to the choir class and sat with the skank. When she talked to her, it appeared that she was really upset. I didn't say anything to her at the time.

That was the last time I saw her in person. I did have a couple of encounters with her father. My senior year, I was selected as the Lions Club Senior of the Month for March of 1982. Judging from the other people who were selected, it looked like the Lions Club got first crack at the seniors that year. (My Dad was in Rotary. He was on the committee to select their Senior of the Month, but he said when they got the list of seniors, I had already been selected.) I wondered why I made what appeared to be the first choice list. When I went to the meeting, I saw that Roz' father was a member. He may have been the one behind choosing me.

In 1984, I was starting my junior year of college. I was walking down the stairs of my dorm and I saw a familiar face walking up. "Fayd?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you remember me?"

"Mr. C?"

"That's right."

Apparently, Roz' little brother was attending Eastern. I had only met him one time when I was dating Roz and I never saw him around campus.

Fast forward from 1984 to 2006. Around this time, I was trolling around classmates.com and I noticed she had put up a profile of having graduated from Artesia High School in 1980. From what I could tell, she married some other person and had at least four kids with him. She had posted some photos of herself. She really hadn't aged that well, but she was still thin. She also posted photos of her family. Her husband looked like a regular guy. I wondered if he was aware of her promiscuous past. At the time, they were living in Arlington, TX.

After that, I couldn't find her on the Internet until last week. I located her on Facebook. I found that she had married some other person, was living in Guthrie, OK and had grandchildren. Again, the photos were not flattering. It looked like her mother had passed away a few years ago, but her father was still alive. I also noticed that she was Facebook friends with the skank.

I have no desire to get in contact with her.

For tomorrow, I'm going to offer a kind of analysis of my relationship with Roz to serve as a wrap-up of Girlfriend #1. It could make for interesting writing. I don't know how well it will read.

No comments:

Post a Comment