Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Holidazed and Confused

One of the nice things about having someone living with you (even if they act like they can barely tolerate your presence) is that you don't have to spend the holidays alone. During the time that Kelz was living with me while pregnant, we got to experience a few of them together, but they were definitely different from the ones I spent with my family.

In September, I had my birthday, immediately followed by Labor Day. Kelz knew it was my birthday, but she didn't really do anything special. I don't even think she bothered to be nice to me that day.

A few weeks later, Halloween was coming up. I got paid on Friday, 10/25/96. I asked Kelz if she wanted to go to a haunted house that had been set up in Downtown San Diego. It was promoted as having been put together by Hollywood professionals. Her initial response was, "Hollywood puts out a lot of cheesy stuff." However, she still wanted to get out of the apartment, so we went.

When we started the tour, one of the guides told us that the monsters we would encounter would try to scare us, but they would not be able to touch us. I asked, "You mean they're not going to give us a lap dance?" Kelz elbowed me and the question did not get answered.

Kelz started being in a good mood and we held hands as we walked through the house. This was the first time since she'd moved back in that we'd had physical contact with each other. However, it would be a long time before we got that close again.

For Halloween the next week, I had bought some candy bars for Kelz to hand out. We ran out, so I went to the store to buy some more. We ran out again. We left the house for a couple of hours, but I don't remember what we did.

November 18th was her 20th birthday. I had gone out a few days earlier and bought her something I figured would continue to fit her as her belly increased. She was a big Michael Jordan fan, so I got her a "Space Jam" T-shirt. I got up to go to work that morning. She was up watching TV. Since I didn't know if she was going to be awake anytime after I got home, I ran out to the car, got her present and gave it to her. She seemed to appreciate it, but quickly went back to her silent mode. I don't remember anything special happening after I returned.

And the next week was Thanksgiving. I told her ahead of time that I wanted to take her out to eat at Furr's cafeteria because I wanted to eat some turkey. The place was going to close at 2pm, so if we didn't get there in time, we were going to be out of luck if we wanted turkey. She did wake up around 12:30pm. And she took her time getting ready. But we did get to have Thanksgiving.

So these holidays were really minor events leading up to Christmas, when she was expecting to return to Artesia with me. Along the way, we had some other interesting stuff happen.

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment