Thursday, November 7, 2013

I wanted to take band

Toward the end of fifth grade, we had to prepare to go to sixth grade at Zia Intermediate school. The school housed the sixth and seventh grades for the entire town.

Throughout the year, we would have assemblies to experience live performances from Zia's choir and band. The object was to get us interested in the music programs that would be available. It was interesting after the band performance. The teacher asked if anyone was interested in being in band. A handful of students raised their hands. She asked each one which instrument they wanted to play. They all said "drums." While band was an actual class, the choir was considered extracurricular and rehearsed during lunch time.

In addition, we were told about the school's athletics program, in which boys would get to learn to play football, basketball and participate in track.

I went home and told Mom I wanted to take band in the sixth grade. Mom immediately said no. This meant I was forced to take athletics. Ever since the Little League debacle (and since Dad wouldn't let me take part in Punt, Pass and Kick because I couldn't punt, pass or kick), I actually looked forward to taking part in sports without having my parents tell me no to that.

To this day, I am perplexed as to why Mom and Dad would not let me take part in band. Years later, Mom said it had something to do with her not liking the band director, who had just started that year. This didn't make sense, because we socialized with the band director and his family and spent our spring break together camping at Big Bend National Park in Texas that year.

Two years later, when I was entering the eighth grade. Mom asked me if I wanted to take band. (I should mention that there was a complete turnover in the music departments at Zia, Park Junior High School and Artesia High School and that particular teacher moved to another town.) I said, "No, I'll be two years behind everybody else. There's no point in taking band now."

Looking back, I'm actually glad my parents kept me out of band. I was able to completely avoid the drama surrounding the high school band teacher, who seemed to run his department like a religious cult.

However, let it be known that my parents had no hesitation in letting Loyd be in band in the sixth grade. Although I'm glad I didn't get to take part, I still see that as unfair.

No comments:

Post a Comment