Monday, May 29, 2017

An unexpected crash

In the summer of 1995, I took another trip to New Mexico. I don't recall the exact reason for the trip and everything just seems to run together at this point. I only know for certain one thing I did and that's the main topic of this post.

This may have been the time that I stopped to see Kird in Las Cruces. He was working on a Master's Degree at New Mexico State University. He was planning to become a social worker. (He would eventually become an attorney.) He was doing some teaching as part of his degree plan. Even though he knew I was coming, he said he had some evaluations of students' homework that he had to complete on his computer. We would have to wait awhile.

I noticed that he was very slow at typing and I got really frustrated. "Kird! You're hunting and pecking! That's going to take forever! I can type faster than that! Why don't you just let me type while you dictate?" He agreed to this. I was amazed to find that he was very concise in what he wanted to express in the evaluations. I was able to keep up and he was probably surprised at how quickly it all went. Now, we could properly run around town.

After that, nothing special happened until I was ready to go to Clovis to see Chez and Joad. At some point prior, I had called Chez' father. He told me she was working at a video store in Clovis. It was part of one of those "Welfare to Work" programs. She was still living with Jyd and Kyd. When I arrived in Clovis, their house was the first place I went.

This would be my first time meeting Kyd. He was a tall, Hispanic man and worked as a mechanic. Jyd told me Chez was at work and gave me the address. I went over there. I saw Chez going back and forth through the store. It took about 10 minutes before she finally saw me. After the shocked expression went away, she smiled at me. She was actually happy to see me. She was about to get off work in a few minutes and she asked me to drive her home. I agreed. On the way, I asked her if I could crash at their house that night.

After we got back to the house, she asked Jyd if she and I could run around for a little bit that evening. She practically had to beg her to watch Joad while we were out after asking if I could sleep on the couch. Jyd agreed, but didn't look too happy about it.

Chez and I went to a bar. I think it was called "The Castle." Chez said it was the closest thing to a gay bar in Clovis. She ordered some alcohol. I ordered a soda. We sat down and talked awhile. It was actually rather pleasant. I think she appreciated getting a bit of a break from her regular life.

While we were out, I played a recording of a song I had written about her that was going to be on my upcoming CD release. She wasn't too impressed by it. It wasn't her kind of music.

We went back to her house and I hung out with her, Jyd and Kyd. They said they were going to bed and I could sleep on the couch. I said I would probably leave early in the morning. Chez said they were all going to be sleeping in and I didn't need to let them know when I was leaving, so we just said our goodbyes then. She actually allowed me to hug her and give her a quick peck on the cheek.

While I laid on the couch, trying to fall asleep, I could hear the three of them talking in the bedroom. At first, it sounded like regular conversation, but I couldn't tell what they were discussing. After awhile, it was apparent that something sexual was going on in there, but I had no interest in checking it out. (And I'm pretty certain they were all concerned that I was going to get a little nosy.)

Chez and I continued to touch base over the next few months. After I had completed my CD release and sent it to her, I would ask her if she listened to it. She always used the excuse, "I haven't had time to listen to it yet." About the third time she did this I said, "I know where you can find the time! Just say, 'Hey, you guys! Let's not have sex tonight! Let's listen to Fayd's CD instead!'" She responded, "That's not funny."

Sometime later, she told me that Jyd had decided to move to Virginia with her daughter and leave Chez and Kyd behind. Chez was so upset because she felt like Jyd wanted it to be just her and her. She went into detail about what they did in the bedroom. (I'm not going to repeat that here.) Every night, Jyd would hold Chez and cry. So, Jyd going off on her own was a complete surprise to her. She also told me about how Jyd would always go out on her Wednesday nights, but never once invited her to go along. (I was even surprised by this. I assumed she always went with her.)

As it turned out, Chez and Joad went out to Virginia. This happened a couple of months after Jyd and her daughter left. After that, I didn't hear from Chez for awhile. At least, not until she needed something.

But that will be the topic of a future post.

No comments:

Post a Comment