Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Getting ready for somebody else's big move

After finding an apartment for me and Kelz to move into, I had to figure out how to get her from Iowa to San Diego. I did not have enough money for a plane ticket and I couldn't take time off of work to drive up to get her. Greyhound was the only option.

The nice thing about Greyhound is that you can buy a ticket and it's good for anytime you're able to get on the bus. I went to the station and bought one to get her from Iowa to San Diego. I sent it out Priority Mail. A few days later, she said she didn't get it. I told her not to worry. I would just send her another one and would try to get a refund later. A few days later, and she hadn't gotten the new ticket, either.

I was starting to freak out. I didn't know if us getting together was really happening or if she was just scamming me and refunding the tickets for cash. It turned out that she had me send them to the wrong address. They went across the street and the neighbors had been away on vacation. She got both tickets. I would be able to get a refund on one of them after she got here. WHEW!

And then some stranger things happened. I called her and I thought she had answered the phone. (She has a very distinct voice.) I was asking her how she was doing and stuff, but she didn't sound too excited to be talking to me. Then she asked, "Who are you trying to call?" I replied, "You, Kelz." "I'm not Kelz. I'm her friend. She's not here right now." I asked this person to take a message, but I was very certain that I was talking to Kelz. (And she never mentioned having a friend hanging out with her, especially one who sounded just like her.)

And then I called up and her grandmother answered the phone. She asked me several questions, like why I was doing this. I told her that Kelz wanted to come be with me so she could get away from getting sucked back into her old habits. And then, she told me that Kelz never mentioned me before she brought her back from California. None of this really made sense. But even if I realized I was making a big mistake, it was kind of too late to turn back because I'd already signed a lease for a new apartment and I absolutely had to be out of my studio apartment because the property management company already had someone ready to move in. I had also sent her the bus tickets. This was going to happen unless Kelz did something to get thrown in jail.

If I had gotten this warning from her grandmother a few weeks earlier, I probably wouldn't have been so intent on getting her out of Iowa. I could have just let go and kept on living my lonely life, wondering where my next girlfriend was going to come from (after my Mayoral run and CD release). I still would have worried about her, but knew I couldn't do anything to fix all the problems she was supposedly experiencing.

And then some really weird stuff started happening. She told me that a friend of hers had died of a heroin overdose. Fairly soon after that, another friend died. And to top it off, the drug dealing father of her child died. I asked her if she needed to stay there and take care of the child. She said no, the satanic cult (of which he was a member) had the child. She wasn't even going to try. She was just going to come out to San Diego and get away from all that. I really didn't feel comfortable with that, but I could see her point.

I was wondering how much she was telling me was true. When I was talking with Knod about all this, she seemed concerned because when she was in a support group, there was this one person who kept talking about how a friend had just died, and it seemed like at every meeting, she had a different friend who just died. The other members eventually determined that she was making all this up to get sympathy and attention. When they stopped giving that to her, her friends stopped dying.

I was really starting to become skeptical of Kelz. A couple of times, she would tell me she was about to go get on the bus, but would call me back hours later to tell me that her that her grandmother wouldn't let her leave the house. I was starting to give up on ever seeing her again. However, she did call and say she was at the bus station and on the way out. At one point, she was in Denver. She called me from a payphone and I could tell from the background noise that she was indeed at a bus station.

And she finally did arrive. I'll go into details about our first day living together on Thursday. But tomorrow, I have a separate article focusing on the apartment we moved into.

No comments:

Post a Comment