Monday, June 26, 2017

The Not-Married Honeymoon Period

Despite the rough start, Kelz and I enjoyed being together the first few weeks after she had moved from Iowa. We went all over San Diego County to experience everything the area had to offer, most of which we didn't have to pay money for. We would frequently go out to live music performances and walk on the beaches at dusk. We did a lot of talking and I could feel our connection growing stronger each day.

Very soon after she moved in, I called my parents to let them know what was going on. They both seemed to enjoy talking to her. Neither one mentioned any objection, but I'm pretty certain they were both concerned after my previous disaster with Chez. They probably just figured I was going to do what I wanted and it didn't really matter to me what they thought.

I also took Kelz to meet Thoz. We hung out at her house a little the first time and took a walk around the neighborhood. I thought maybe we'd try to walk to the beach from there, but apparently, that wasn't possible. Even though Thoz tried to be as friendly as possible to Kelz, Kelz didn't seem to enjoy trying to get to know her.

We also hung out with Abed frequently. We went to this one event where everyone was invited to create art on clay pots. Abed and I immediately took to this and made these abstract designs. Kelz just watched us with fascination. She acted like she wanted to do it, too. However, every time I asked her if she wanted to, she just shook her head and continued watching us.

Kelz was the first girlfriend I'd ever had who started wearing my T-shirts. I thought this was rather cool that she was comfortable enough with me that she wanted to wear my clothes. However, I should add that I did not reciprocate. One of my T-shirts promoted a local singer-songwriter. She wore the shirt when we went to see her perform at the Wikiup Cafe. Kelz also wore a cross on a chain around her neck. The singer-songwriter told her she liked how the cross looked on the shirt.

One of the things I tried to do was make this a very adult relationship. I wanted us to completely trust each other and not feel like we had to hide anything. We would have several discussions about our life experiences in the past. I told her about my ex-girlfriends and she shared some details about her exes. I did not ask her to go into a lot of detail about her addiction. But she did tell me about the rehab process. She told me about how her counselor told her that she had to answer to a "higher power." This caused her to really freak out at first because she was not very comfortable with the concept of God watching over her after having been in a satanic cult. The counselor told her that the higher power did not need to be God. It could be something like a can of Coke. She would have to answer to a can of Coke.

(I've never been through professional rehabilitation for any addiction, including gambling, so I don't know whether this was really a good idea on how to put "higher power" into perspective. However, Kelz said this method did help because she worried less about incurring the wrath of an all-powerful God.)

From what I had gone through in the past with previous girlfriends, we appeared to be on a proper path for a successful relationship. I felt like we were doing the right things. And we continued to do more things together that enhanced what we had.

I hoped that wouldn't end anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment