Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Girlfriend #6: Kelz, Part 1

I responded to Kelz' ad in the Penny Saver in November of 1995. She was 19, but didn't specify an age range she was seeking. When I called the voice mail, I lied about my age and said I was 23. As far as I was concerned, it kind of didn't matter if I lied as I wasn't doing it to trick someone into having sex with me. But looking back, it really wasn't the best way to start something new.

I was expecting the usual routine of phone call, meeting and then never hearing from her again. It did start with her calling me. She was living in Escondido at the time. She had moved from the Chicago area and was staying with a friend and his family. After we talked for awhile, we decided to meet the next day. She gave me the address where she lived and the apartment number.

It was a Friday afternoon. I drove up around 3pm. I found the apartment complex and went to the apartment number she gave me. I knocked on the door. Some woman nervously peered through the front window. I asked if Kelz was there. She acted like she didn't know who I was talking about and was basically trying to shoo me away. I shrugged my shoulders and started walking back to my car. I was upset because this was the first time a personal ad date wasn't going to happen and I had to drive about half an hour to get there.

I was about to cross the street to get to my car when I heard someone yell, "Hey!" I turned around. I saw a woman wearing a baggy shirt and a baseball cap. She had long red hair and these glasses with really thick lenses. She looked like a bit of a dork. Just my type.

"Are you Fayd?" "Yeah." "Hi, I'm Kelz. I'm sorry about that. The people I was staying with kicked me out and I was able to stay with someone else. I need to go back and let them know that I'm going."

As we walked back, I mentioned that the woman in the apartment I went to didn't seem to know who she was. "Yeah, she's kind of like that." Kelz was now staying with a couple who had children. The man and woman appeared to be in their late 20s. She told the woman she would be going out with me and didn't know when she'd be back. The woman requested that she call if she was coming back after 9pm. I didn't think we were going to be out that long.

As we walked back to the car, we passed by some children playing. She made some comment, like she enjoyed seeing children like that. I don't why, but I asked this question: "Are you looking to have one of those?" Her response was, "I just had one." WHAT? She had recently given birth to a baby boy in a hospital in the Chicago area and had given it up for adoption. I had a lot to process about this.

I decided to take her for a little sightseeing. That was the nice thing about San Diego. There were plenty of places to go where I didn't really have to spend any money. I know we went to the Hotel del Coronado and walked around. We went out on the beach and watched the waves for awhile. We went to a couple of other places and got to know each other pretty well. We appeared to have the same interests in music.

I told her that I was an aspiring musician, had a cassette release and was working on a CD. I was also running for Mayor of San Diego. She genuinely seemed impressed by all this. I told her I was going to see someone I knew play live the next night in Downtown San Diego and invited her to go along. She agreed to a second date. This was going VERY well!

I took her back to Escondido. We went into the apartment. The woman told Kelz I couldn't stay. (Well, I wasn't planning to.) Kelz had kept her baseball cap on all night long. I could tell that she didn't have hair on the front part of her scalp. I wondered if she had alopecia and was trying to cover it up. Before I left, I told her I wanted to see her without the cap. She took it off. She didn't have alopecia. She just had that part of her head shaved. I told her it looked good. I asked her if I could have a hug before I left. She agreed. I told her I would see her the next night.

One odd thing I noticed about the date was that the whole time, she didn't go to the bathroom. Even when we had an opportunity at the Hotel, she didn't go (even though I had to).

One of the places we didn't go to was my apartment. It was a mess. I spent most of the next day cleaning it up in case she decided she wanted to see where I lived.

I drove back up to Escondido. I didn't have any hassle this time. We drove to San Diego and enjoyed the performance. We did go to my apartment, but we weren't there for very long. I just showed her my keyboard. I drove her back to Escondido. We didn't make any plans for the next date. I didn't want to push my luck. Again, she did not go to the bathroom the entire evening.

I decided to play this one cool and wait a few days before calling her again. But as things turned out, I didn't have to wait that long.

More on that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment