Wednesday, September 27, 2017

A reluctant grandmother

The week I moved to get away from Kelz and Sasd was the same week my Mom was coming to visit for three days. She was rather disappointed that she probably wasn't going to get to play grandma like she had just three months earlier, but decided to make the best of the visit with me.

I had to pick her up from the San Diego airport very early in the morning, like around 4am. I parked my car, went inside and waited for her flight to arrive. She finally came out, we walked out to the car and left. The plan was for me to drop her off at the cottage, she would catch up on her sleep while I went to work.

On the way, I explained that Kelz and Sasd were staying with some people and I still had contact with them. I also told her about some stuff that was going on around town. The Del Mar Fair was opening that day and the X-Games were going on, so there was going to be plenty to do. She had picked a good weekend to come visit.

We arrived at the cottage and went inside. Mom started unpacking her clothes in the living room, where she would be sleeping. She saw the size of the cottage and started crying. She felt like I had given up a really good apartment because of Kelz. I didn't tell her about the criminal element that I was also trying to get away from. I went to work.

When I came back home, Mom decided she wanted to go to both the Del Mar Fair and the X-Games. We would go to the Del Mar Fair that evening and the X-Games the next day. It sounded like a plan. Then she asked if I wanted to invite Kelz and Sasd to go along with us. "Do you really want to do that?" "Sure!" I called Kelz and yes, she did want to go.

We drove over to the house where Kelz and Sasd were staying. Mom met Mrs. B. We loaded everyone in the car and drove to the fair. Mom and Kelz appeared to get along okay. While traffic was very slow getting there, we did eventually arrive. While nothing extraordinary happened while we walked around, there was something unusual happening between me and Kelz. We were acting like boyfriend and girlfriend. Mom was probably bewildered by this, and I have to admit that I was, too. At one point, Mom offered to walk Sasd around in her stroller while Kelz and I went on some rides. So Mom did get to be a grandmother again.

At one point, Kelz and I were at the games. We were at one booth that featured Skeeball. The prizes were these stuffed aliens. Kelz wanted one so she could say she slept with an alien. I tried a few times and I was finally able to score enough points to win a hand-sized alien. Kelz said it would do.

We met back up with Mom and left the fair. We drove Kelz and Sasd back to where they were staying. Mom and I went back to the cottage. Mom really didn't know what to think about the situation, but didn't say much about it.

The next day, we got ready to go to the X-Games. Mom asked if we should invite Kelz. I tried calling the house, but no one picked up. Mom and I started leaving the cottage when the phone rang. I knew it was Kelz and I decided not to pick up. I knew that Mission Beach and the X-Games would not be a good place to take a baby.

The great thing about the X-Games is that it was free to attend. All we had to do was park the car and get on a bus that would take us there. Mission Beach was practically set up like a theme park. Mom and I got to see a lot of stuff. We saw an extreme bicycle demonstration and a mountain bike on a half-pipe competition that aired live on TV. It was all very exciting, but a lot of the day was spent waiting in line. When we were seated for the competition, I had to get up and buy some drinks. When I returned, I had to wait in line to get into the stands again.

The next day, I planned to take Mom to see Balboa Park. She asked if we should invite Kelz and Sasd and do a picnic. I didn't explain that you didn't really do picnics at Balboa Park and just figured we'd get some food there and call it a picnic. I called up Kelz. She said she and Sasd would go. We picked them up. I don't remember what happened between Mrs. B's house and getting to the park, but Kelz got REALLY upset. It was in the same manner that Mom had experienced the two times she came to Artesia. Mom said, "Fayd, just take me back to the cottage. You and Kelz can go." I drove Mom back home. When we got back on the road, Kelz started saying a lot of bad stuff about Mom. I got mad at her and told her that Mom was trying really hard to be nice. "I don't want to go to the park. You can just take me and Sasd back home!" I gladly obliged.

I came back to the cottage and told Mom that Kelz and I didn't go to the park. Mom was relieved that she didn't have to put up with Kelz anymore. We then went to Balboa Park and I was able to show her what it was all about. She was amazed.

The next day, I had to drive Mom back to the airport. She told me that under no circumstances was I to let Kelz have the crib. Mom had originally paid for that crib and I had taken it with me to the cottage when I moved. She didn't want that money going to waste.

Mom never saw Kelz or Sasd again. But she still wonders about what happened to Sasd sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment