Thursday, September 7, 2017

Rebuilding the Relationship

Things between Kelz and me were rough for the next week. She didn't want to talk to me and didn't want me to have anything to do with Sasd. (Except that she occasionally needed me to take care of her when she was taking a nap.) Kelz started sleeping in the living room on the foam mattress because she couldn't stand being in the same bed with me. (This was fine because Sasd's crib was in the living room.)

One day, I came home from work. Kelz was taking a shower and had Sasd in her seat next to the bathroom. I could hear Sasd crying and saw that her pacifier had fallen out of her mouth. I gave her the pacifier and went into the bedroom. I heard Kelz ask Sasd, "How did you get the pacifier back in your mouth?" Then she could see me in the bedroom. "Oh, Fayd's home." She didn't sound too happy about that.

However, things did appear to get back on track. She seemed to tolerate my presence a little more each day. Eventually, she started sleeping in the same bed as me. A little while longer, we started making out after we'd put Sasd to sleep. Up to this point, we hadn't made love because the doctor told us to wait six weeks. One night, I told Kelz it was too bad we were going to have to wait one more week. She quickly pulled a condom from underneath the pillow and said, "Who says we're waiting?" Despite the medical advice, we went for it. It was the first time we'd made love since June of 1996.

So this continued for a couple of weeks. We appeared to get back to where we were before all the unpleasantness began. I was feeling good about things and took great care not to do something else that would set Kelz off again. I didn't bring up the subject of Thoz
again, nor did I continue to have contact with her. I never explained to Thoz what was going on. I was hoping that Kelz could come back to a place in which I would be able to continue my friendship with Thoz. However, I knew that was going to take awhile and I didn't want to rush it.

We got back on the schedule in which I would take care of Sasd on Sundays. Kelz appreciated this. It allowed her to recharge her batteries and prepare for the week ahead when I would be working.

One thing I didn't do was let anyone know that anything bad had happened. I wanted my friends and family to believe that everything was running smoothly. The bad thing was that, with the exception of Abed
, I didn't really have much contact with my friends. The good thing about that was that they couldn't tell when I was hiding some deep dark secret.

So, this was not like Baby Rapture. I had my guard up the whole time that something bad was just around the corner. Whatever it was going to be, I knew there was no way I was going to let it be my fault this time. It was just a matter of waiting.

And as you'll find out on Monday, I didn't have to wait for long.

No comments:

Post a Comment