Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Another wacky day: June 25, 1996

Sometimes, you wake up in the morning and expect one day to be like any other. Maybe you made some special plans to take part in later. Maybe you were going to eat something special. But you probably expect to wind up in bed at the end of the day to fall asleep and start the routine over.

This particular Tuesday, 06/25/96, started out like any other. I woke up and went to work. I cashed my paycheck and it didn't bounce. I can't recall that anything else exciting happened, but I knew what I was going to do when I got off: I was going to see "Mission: Impossible" at the Mann Cinema 21. (At the time, it was one of two large screen single movie theatres still operating in San Diego, but within two years, they would shut down.) I went straight over there from work without going home.

I had a good time at the movie. I walked out to my car. There was still plenty of daylight left, but I planned to go home and take a nap. I would figure out later what I was going to do that evening.

As soon as I got home, the light on my answering machine was flashing like crazy. I hit the play button. There were at least 30 messages on the machine. They were all attempted collected calls from Kelz. All they consisted of was the electronic operator informing me that I had a collect call from her and that I needed to press one to accept. I listened to them one by one, wondering how recently she made the last attempt. (My answering machine didn't have a time code for the messages.) After about 10 minutes, all the messages had played. I just had to wait for the phone to ring again.

Finally, it did. As expected, it was a collect call from Kelz. I'll bet she was surprised when I finally picked up the phone. She was at a Home Depot in El Cajon. She asked me to come get her.

First I had to find Home Depot in the Yellow Pages. Then, I had to figure out how to get there. I was able to look it up on my map and start driving. I got to the parking lot and found her. Before she saw me, I saw her going up to someone and hitting them up for change.

She was excited to see me. I guess she and Brod were "hustling" out there and he got mad and stranded her. The first thing she asked me was to buy her a hot dog from the Home Depot concession stand. (Yeah, it was cheaper than the hot dog I bought at the movie theatre. Too bad they weren't showing "Mission: Impossible on a 60-foot wide screen at Home Depot.) This was even though she had hustled some cash. We went back to the car and drove to my apartment.

We went inside. After she went to the bathroom, we were in the bedroom. She said she felt bad about everything that was going on. I started holding her and the next thing I knew, we were kissing. I felt like something was going to happen and started making moves. She started to say, "No... no... no..." rather softly. I kept kissing her. She repeated, "No... no... no..."

I remembered what happened the last time I thought we were going to make love and figured I needed to show her I could be a man about it. I picked her up off the floor and THREW her on the bed. She started screaming, "NOOOOOO!!!!!" At this point, I started taking her seriously and stopped what I was doing.

I sat on the bed. I told her I was sorry and that I wasn't going to force her to do something she didn't want to do. She remained on the bed with her face in the pillow. I left the bedroom and let her go to sleep there. I didn't like myself very much at that point.

I don't remember what happened the next few hours. I probably took a nap on the portable mattress in the living room. She may have woken up and we got something to eat. We likely went driving around for a little bit. I don't recall too much, but she was no longer upset with me.

I had to work the next morning. I went to bed. She laid down next to me. We talked a little. She said, "I'm really hot. I'm going to take off my pants." She did that and we continued to talk. Then she said, "I'm still hot. I'm going to take off my shirt. She also did that, but didn't have a bra on underneath. Again, we talked some more. Then, "I'm still really hot. I'm going to take off my underwear."

At this point, I decided she wasn't giving me mixed signals this time. I started engaging in an activity of a sexual nature. She started shrieking, "You little devil!" She made it obvious this was what she wanted.

I asked her, "Do you want me to get the condom?" "YES!" And we made love.

After it was over, she decided to get up and leave. She wasn't going to spend the night. This turn of events was all so rapid, I didn't have time to digest what had just happened.

I was left asking a lot of questions: Why was she so against making love six hours earlier, but so gung ho just now? And she had indicated that she wanted to spend the night in the apartment. Why did she leave and hit the streets so late at night? Was she doing all this just to mess with my mind? Would I even know what to expect from women anymore?

I never got answers to any of these. But the events of this wacky day would have somewhat of an impact on both our lives a little later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment