Friday, July 21, 2017

An issue with the "F-word"

A friend of mine recently shared this meme from bisexual.org (in which I have edited out the terms I would find offensive). I was rather taken aback by what was being implied here. It's almost like saying a woman put you in a "Friend Zone" is just as bad as calling her a "SL-word" or a "B-word."

I must have missed something here. When did "Friend Zone" suddenly become politically incorrect? Who is offended when someone says they put him (or her) into the "Friend Zone?"

I looked it up on Wikipedia and apparently, it's considered misogynistic because it means that the man expects to be rewarded sexually for doing nice things for the woman. I never considered this because for the the majority of my life, I never had any expectation of sexual encounters with the women I considered friends.

My chief example is Thoz (who has used the term with regards to me). Ours was a true friendship. In the course of this blog, I have written about doing nice things for her and her doing nice things for me. It was a solid friendship at the time and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Now, I'm not going to change the term on my blog because there may be some people out there who find it offensive. That's mainly because there is no other term that describes the situation as well and won't also be considered offensive. I mean, how long is it going to be before someone finds my terms "Ring Zone," "Mistop" and "Lostop" misogynistic? (Although I will admit that someone could find "Radio Tease," "Personal Ad Tease" and "Internet Tease" offensive. I won't be changing those, either.)

This is the thing that gets me: If I screamed the "SL-word" at a woman, I would expect her to be offended. If I hollered the "B-word" at a woman, she would likely get mad. But if I angrily yelled "FRIEND ZONE" at a woman, she would probably double up with laughter.

(And I'm guessing the "C-word" isn't considered an attack? That means we can have at it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment