Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Back and forth

Kelz wound up spending more time at my apartment in the next few weeks. Sometimes, she would spend the night, but we never tried to make love again. She would often call me to get her from somewhere. Once, she had me come to a motel, where I saw her doing actual work. She was doing the housekeeping. She was changing the linens on a few of the beds that had guests the night before. I didn't know if she was actually doing this for a living or was working off a debt for being able to spend the night there. (I'm guessing the latter.)

She appeared to be dealing with Brod less and less. One day, I came home from work to find that he had left all her stuff in bags by my front door. I didn't know what to think. I just brought everything inside. Did this mean she was living with me again? I didn't know if I was ready to start that all over again.

A couple of hours later, she called me. I told her Brod had left her stuff at my house. "Yeah, I know. I need you to bring all that stuff to where I'm staying now." She had met some guy named Nard and was going to be living with him. She gave me the address. It was just a few blocks away. I moved everything from the apartment over to the car and drove over.

The place where she was going to be living was very small, almost not enough room for two people. I remembered that it was rather cluttered on the inside and her stuff just made it more cluttered. She started putting things away as we visited. And then I left.

A few hours later, she called me again. "You need to come help me get my stuff. Nard says I can't stay with him." REALLY?

I drove back over and loaded everything into the car. I thought she was coming back with me, but she said, "Nard says I can spend the night here, but I'm not moving in." So I had to load everything back in my apartment all by myself. AGAIN!

At some point, I mentioned to Kelz that I was going to take a trip to Artesia, NM to see my parents, so I was going to be gone for about a week. She said, "I would really like to get out of town for awhile. Can I go with you?" "You really want to go?" "Yeah!" I figured that if she was with me, I wouldn't have to worry about her breaking into my apartment to steal stuff, so I said she could go.

The next couple of weeks, she was staying at someone's house in La Mesa. She had me come over a couple of times early in the morning before I went to work. This meant I had to get up earlier than normal to see her. I have no idea what she was doing there. She didn't tell me if she was working the streets or hustling. I never saw the people she was staying with.

But by this time, I had gotten to the point that nothing regarding Kelz really surprised me.

No comments:

Post a Comment