Thursday, September 28, 2017

A trip to the hospital

A couple of weeks went by in which I was adjusting to my new life without Kelz and Sasd. However, that didn't really last very long. One day, I got a call from Kelz. She told me that Sasd was taken to Children's Hospital. She asked me to come over and gave me the room number where she would be.

I jumped in the car and drove up to the hospital. When I got there, Sasd appeared to be in shock while they were inserting tubes through her nose. Kelz was telling the doctor what happened. She noticed that Sasd had stopped breathing and her lips were turning blue. That was when she called 911. The ambulance arrived and took her to the hospital.

After a few minutes, Sasd was acting like her normal self and didn't seem to notice that anything was wrong. She was smiling and laughing. But they were going to have to keep her there for observation for a couple of days. Kelz said she wanted me to stick around and spend the night there in the hospital room. The funny thing was that early in our relationship, Kelz and I once drove past Children's Hospital and I wondered out loud what it would be like to stay there. And now, I was going to find out!

It's not really very good for adults. The "beds" were chairs that would fold out so you could sleep on them. The staff would provide a couple of pillows and blankets, but they weren't very comfortable. Neither Kelz nor I could sleep very well. We spent a lot of time talking.

The doctors said that Sasd likely had some respiratory issues and she would need to be attached to a monitor when sleeping. I was worried about this. I'd seen stories about women suffering from Munchhausen Syndrome by Proxy because of these monitors and was afraid it would affect Kelz that way. (As it turned out, it didn't.) The doctor also recommended that Sasd sleep in a crib with a slanted mattress and a harness designed to hold her in place so she wouldn't slide down. The doctor asked if Kelz had such a crib. Kelz looked at me. I had the crib at my apartment and Mom told me not to let her have it. I sighed and said, "Yes, she has a crib we can adjust like that."

Before taking Kelz and Sasd back to Mr. & Mrs. B's, I stopped by the cottage and got the crib. I brought it in the house and assembled it as instructed. It would work very well.

But the monitoring device was a bit of a pain. If one wire happened to fall off, the alarm would go off. It's bad enough that you're worried a baby will stop breathing in the middle of the night. But you really go into panic mode every time the alarm goes off. It turns out to be a little disappointing when nothing is really wrong. I can see how easy it is to have Munchhausen Syndrome by Proxy affect someone.

A few weeks later, Kelz sold the crib and kept the money. She just had Sasd sleep in a little stand that held her upright. Mom was right, but I wound up getting paid back for that. As usual, you'll find out how that happened later.

No comments:

Post a Comment