Monday, December 28, 2020

Encountering an Asian Stereotype

You may have seen this clip from "Family Guy" before:



Prior to dating Myz, I was aware that this stereotype involving young Asian women existed, but I never thought I would actually encounter it. When I went to visit Mom in 2002, she gave me some water bottles to take on the drive home. They were 10 oz. bottles. I thought they were rather handy and didn't require a lot of extra effort to pick up, twist off the lid and drink while I was driving.

I continued to use these bottles when I made my trips up to San Jose to see Myz. I brought a couple of the bottles into the bedroom. Myz picked up one of the bottles and said, "Oh, my gosh! Look at this water bottle! It's so CUTE!" I explained that I had gotten it from Mom the last time I went to Phoenix. She kept going on and on about how small it was, like she'd never seen a water bottle like that before.

During that same visit, I went into the kitchen to fill a bottle from the water dispenser. All I had filled it, her cousin Haad grabbed the bottle out of my hand and said, "Oh, my gosh! Look at this water bottle! It's so CUTE!" I remarked that Myz had the same reaction, but I still didn't see it as anything special.

A few weeks later, I was going to leave directly from work to drive up to San Jose. I brought a few bottles into the breakroom so I could fill them from the water dispenser. All of a sudden, an Asian co-worker of mine named Xiz picked up one of the bottles and said, "Oh, my gosh! Look at these water bottles! They're so CUTE!"

I have since encountered other Asian stereotypes, but none so glaring as this.



And I guess I should go into a little detail about Xiz. She was a co-worker I had a crush on before I met Myz. She was of Chinese descent and was very pretty. She appeared to be a little flirtatious toward me, enough for me to think that maybe she was interested. But it seemed like she was that way with everyone.

She did have a couple of issues, though. She smoked and she had a kid. Another co-worker had met her daughter. He wasn't aware that Xiz lived in the same apartment complex as him. He saw the girl and thought she looked exactly like Xiz. He then asked the girl if her mother's name was Xiz. The girl said it was. He was shocked at the resemblance.

One day, I overheard her telling another co-worker in the breakroom that while she would date outside her race, she wouldn't marry outside her race. That pretty much told me I didn't have much of a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment