Thursday, December 24, 2020

Fayd vs. "A Christmas Carol"


One of the things I loved doing as a kid was watching all the animated Christmas specials on TV. If it was a cartoon and it was about the holidays, I couldn't be torn away from the TV. (I remember throwing a fit one year because Loyd and I wanted to watch "The Mouse on the Mayflower" on Thanksgiving, but all the men wanted to watch football on the only TV. We lost that one.) And it always lifted my heart to see the percussive "CBS Special Presentation" logo come on and lead directly into the soft piano intro of "A Charlie Brown Christmas."

When I was around 7 years old, I saw that something called "A Christmas Carol" was going to come on. This was the first time I'd ever heard of it. But "Christmas" was in the title and it seemed like it was going to have songs in it, so I watched. (I have confirmed it was the "Famous Classic Tales" version from 1970. You can find it on YouTube.)

I don't recall everything I was thinking while I was watching it. I must have been bewildered by the old guy griping about Christmas. Who doesn't like Christmas? And I was probably pretty freaked out by Marley's ghost and wondering why that was in a Christmas cartoon instead of a Halloween cartoon. (I had seen the "Famous Classic Tales" versions of "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" and "Rip Van Winkle" earlier that year.)

I do know I was thinking that every time the ghosts removed Scrooge from his house that Santa wasn't going to come by. Maybe that was why Scrooge didn't like Christmas. He wasn't getting anything from Santa. I mean, it's one thing if you're at your grandmother's house. Santa knows to bring your presents there. But if you're just gallivanting through time and space, Santa's not going to even try to track you down.

So yeah, a lot of the story was really lost on me. However, I must have liked the cartoon because I know I watched it again the next year. But this time, I had a better understanding of what was going on. That one year made a difference in my perspective of the world.

I came to realize that not every Christmas cartoon needed to have Santa or Jesus in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment