Wednesday, December 23, 2020

The Reveal to Mom

In my relationship with Myz, I decided to hold off on telling my Mom about it for as long as possible. She always got WAY too excited anytime I was seeing someone. ("Grandchildren on the way!") I was actually glad she never met my previous girlfriend. I don't even remember telling her until after it ended the first time. And I don't even think I told her when we started things back up.

After I'd been seeing Myz for a few months, Mom told me there was someone she wanted me to meet. Her name was Rowd and she knew her from working in the New Mexico Legislature. She was around my age and was living with Mom and Dend in Phoenix until she could find a job and get on her feet. She thought she was someone I would like.

This forced my hand. I didn't tell her about Myz right away. I had to discuss this with Myz first. I had to let her know how my Mom got anytime I told her I had a girlfriend, about the expecations for getting married and having kids. I had to tell her about all the previous disappointments. (Myz knew about my ex-girlfriends. She just didn't know the extent of my Mom's involvment with them.)

We decided it was in everyone's best interests if I told Mom what was going on. This way, she wasn't getting Rowd's hopes up. One afternoon, I called her. She happened to be shopping with Rowd at the time. (Oh, great! I didn't want to do this while she was with her! Well, we've gotten this far. We need to get this over with.) I told her that I had started seeing someone. I said that her name was Myz and she lived in San Jose. "Is she Spanish?" "No." "Is she Black?" "No." "Is she White?" "No..." "THEN WHAT IS SHE?" "She Asian!" "Oh, okay."

I told Mom that her parents had come here from Vietnam. Mom said she hoped that she would get to meet her someday. I don't recall what else we discussed after that.

After getting off the phone with Mom, I called Dad and let him know. I never had a problem with telling him, but I figured it was best to keep him in the loop at the same time.

Not long after that, I had a few days off and went to Phoenix to see Mom and Dend. Rowd was still staying with them. I remember driving and getting there late at night. The first thing I had to do was call Myz and let her know I had gotten there safely. I had a cell phone at the time, but I was worried about roaming charges. (It turns out there really weren't roaming charges, but I didn't know how it all worked.) I had to use Mom's landline to call Myz and use a calling card to make the long distance call. I had to punch in all the numbers and the phone made a very loud beep every time I hit a key. I was afraid I was going to wake up the entire house just by punching in my card number. And then, I didn't so something right the first time, so I had to make those beeping noises ALL OVER AGAIN!

After talking to Myz, I went to sleep in the guest room. I woke up the next morning and saw Mom and Dend. Later, Rowd got out of bed. Usually, when Mom had tried to set me up with someone, she would be like a younger version of Mom, with blond hair and blue eyes. I could tell that Rowd was Native American. I thought that at least Mom was trying to fix me up with someone closer to my taste.

Rowd talked about how all the beeping from the phone woke her up. Mom and Dend hadn't heard anything.

Rowd was nice and very smart, but I knew I wouldn't have started something up with her even if I didn't have Myz in my life. This was because Mom was involved. Now, if I'd met Rowd on my own without Mom's involvement, there was a possibility. But I didn't put much thought into this.

Later, Mom told me that Rowd had divorced her ex-husband after she had been arrested for beating him up. I guess Mom thought that after my other disastrous ex-girlfriends, Rowd would have been a cakewalk.

This provided justification for me knowing that I could never allow Mom to pick my girlfriends. And thankfully, she never got that opportunity again.

No comments:

Post a Comment