Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Big messes to clean up

The relationship between me and Kelz had become somewhat tolerable. We still enjoyed each other's company and we continued to go out with Sasd and find things to do around town. We also enjoyed doing things at home and helping take care of Sasd.

But she would get angry anytime she got the idea in her head that I was sleeping around on her. Her accusations were not limited to Thoz. She also accused me of sleeping with my co-worker Riz and any number of women from the San Diego music scene. About the only woman she never accused me of having an affair with was Zid. "She's too classy to sleep with you." In addition, she told me that the 13-year-old girl who lived in the house in front kept coming around and asking about me. I doubted this was happening.

One time, her accusations were so intense and so loud that I threw my hands up in the air, walked out the door and drove off. I needed to cool down. I came back about an hour later to find that she had thrown a lot of my stuff into the parking spaces behind the cottage. She had pulled out books, magazines and other items and threw them on the ground. She also grabbed a bunch of photographs, tore them up and threw them all over the place. There were all sorts of personal possessions of mine that were strewn around the area.

(Among the items was my copy of a compilation of female comic book artists I had purchased at the 1997 Comic-Con. I had met one of the artists there and got her to sign it. She also sketched an ambi-sexual mudworm from the book on the title page. Kelz found some rather graphic material by the other artists offensive and thought I was into reading comics about rape. This was one of the items that she completely tore up. However, she left the title page with the autograph and the sketch intact. I still have it somewhere.)

I had no choice. I grabbed a trash can, a broom and a dustpan and started cleaning everything up. I had to throw a lot of it away because there was just no salvaging it. It took me about an hour to clear everything off the concrete. While I was doing this, a couple across the alley came up to me and were carrying my keyboard. "Uh, we think this is yours. Someone left it at our back door." I told them, yes, it was mine and thanked them. I examined the keyboard. She had smashed one side on the ground and broke about four keys off the end. However, I plugged it in and found that it still functioned properly.

I didn't say anything to Kelz. I didn't want her to think that any of that stuff really mattered to me. I didn't want her to know that she had hurt me. I didn't want to give her that satisfaction. I put all the stuff I could keep back where it was and we went about our usual business.

One time, she got mad and threw a box of Nesquik at me. It didn't hit me, but it fell on the floor and burst open. Before we could do anything, Sasd started crying and Kelz went into the living room to check on her. While she was doing that, I noticed that some of the Nesquik had landed close to cassette deck on her portable stereo. So I grabbed some of the powder and dropped it in the deck. It looked like it landed in there after she threw the box. She never said anything about her stereo getting wrecked.

(And I should add that this was also revenge for something else she did. She had a tendency to record songs she liked off the radio. Usually, she would grab a blank cassette tape to record with because I had several laying around. However, I once found out that she had recorded over the tape that contained my master tracks for my cassette release. I HAD IT CLEARLY MARKED AND SHE STILL RECORDED OVER THEM! I never forgave her for that. She never thought she did anything wrong.)

A couple of days before the end of their stay, we got into another fight. After she went into the living room to feed Sasd, I decided I could expedite the situation. I took the TV, VCR and phone out of the bedroom (along with some of my other valuables) and put them out in the car. By the time she got up and saw what I was doing, I was getting my last load out the back door and into the car. I drove off and took everything to work to store there.

When I got home, she had thrown all my clothes outside. (Fortunately, she didn't try to trash my keyboard again.) I was glad I didn't have so much to clean up this time.

However, she did talk me into bringing the telephone back. I agreed with her that if something happened to Sasd, she would need to call 911. I did not include the electrical adapter which allowed the phone to ring. This meant she could call out, but wouldn't know if someone was calling us unless she looked at the Caller ID.

So, she got very ticked off that she didn't have any entertainment (especially since I'd wrecked her stereo). When I was home and trying to take a nap, she would bang on the wall for entertainment. I knew the end was coming, but I didn't know how long she was going to be able to hold out before she exploded.

I didn't have to wait long.

No comments:

Post a Comment