Wednesday, October 18, 2017

The Big Boss Battle

I'd reached the point that I HATED being at home with Kelz and Sasd. I mean, it was fine when we went out to do something, but it was like the cramped quarters caused the worse in us to come out. I dreaded coming home from work. If I found Kelz and Sasd sleeping, that wasn't a problem because it meant I could lay down and take a nap. But if they were awake, I had to work to sustain my energy to put with Kelz' nonsense for several hours before we went to bed.

(And of course, it didn't help that I never brought back the TV or the VCR. I still had those at work.)

I came home from work this particular day and they were awake. Kelz asked me to watch Sasd while she took a shower. No problem there. After she got out of the shower, she wrapped a towel around her and sat on the bed. She started getting on my case about something. I finally came out and asked, "Okay, when are you and Sasd going to fly back to Iowa?" "Well, when are you going to pay me back the money you owe me?" "It'll be a couple of weeks before I can get you the $200." "No, I want the $400 I loaned you." "You said I only needed to pay back half because I let you and Sasd stay here." "Well, now I want the $400." "Well, you're not getting $400!" "Well, I'm going to call the cops and tell them you stole money from me!" I said, "You know what? Go ahead and call the cops. Who are they going to believe? Me, who has no criminal record, or you, a recovering heroin addict and convicted prostitute?"

I started walking toward the living room. The next thing I know, I hear Kelz SCREAM! She came up behind me and knocked me to the floor. She punched me in the face and started pulling my hair, REALLY HARD, with both hands. "HOW DARE YOU CALL ME A JUNKIE AND A WHORE!" I managed to get up and leave the house. The top of my head was still stinging from where she pulled my hair.

I had been prepared for such a situation. I had memorized the non-emergency number for the San Diego Police Department. I went to a payphone on the corner and called it. I told the operator I wanted to report a domestic situation. I gave my information and Kelz' information. I stated that she had a warrant out for her arrest (which was true). They told me to wait outside the residence for the police to arrive. They would be there in about an hour.

I went over to the curb in front of the main house and sat there. I was surprised when I saw two male officers walking my way 15 minutes after I'd made the call. I waved at them and identified myself. One of them asked me if Kelz had a firearm inside. I said, no, we don't have any guns. I opened the front door. "Kelz! The police are here!"

One officer talked to Kelz in the bedroom while the other one talked to me in the living room. I explained what happened and said my head was still hurting from where she pulled my hair. I expressed my desire to get them out of the house, that this was my trump card and I wanted to play it now.

The officer asked me if I was willing to take care of the baby. I said no. He said that nothing was probably going to happen because they weren't going to arrest her with no one to take care of the baby, especially since the baby had to be hooked up to a monitor while she was sleeping.

The officer who was talking to Kelz told her something to the effect that she shouldn't be making that big a deal out of the money since I was letting her and Sasd stay with me. My officer asked me if there was someplace else I could stay that night. I said, "Yeah, I can pack up my foam mattress and go sleep at work." He recommended I do that while Kelz decided what she wanted to do. I grabbed the mattress and some spare clothes, put them in the car and left.

After about an hour, Kelz called me at work. She asked me to come back to the cottage because Mrs. B was there. I drove over. Mrs. B didn't have much to say to me, but left the bedroom after I'd arrived. Kelz said, "Hey, I'm sorry I hurt you. I didn't mean to do that. I was just upset at you calling me a junkie and a whore." "Okay." "Anyway, I want you to stay here with me tonight."

I didn't realize it at the time, but this was the turning point for us. I thought about it for a moment and said, "No, I think it's best if I spend the night at work. I'm pretty certain you're still mad at me and a night apart would do us some good." "WELL, F*** YOU, THEN!" I got up and left. I didn't even say goodbye to Mrs. B.

An hour later, I got a call at work. Kelz told me I could go back to the cottage because she and Sasd were now staying with her uncle. I was almost afraid to go home. What if it was a trap?

I figured I'd have to find out the hard way. I packed up the foam mattress and my clothes and drove back. Sure enough, they had left the cottage. I was there all by myself.

I didn't realize it at the time, but Kelz had caused some permanent damage to my scalp when she was pulling on my hair. I guess she yanked out a few follicles, leaving thin spots where I had felt the most pain. I started realizing that my hair didn't look as good as it did before and a year later, I shaved it all off. I never grew it that long again.

Even though Kelz and Sasd were out of the house, we still had a little ways to go before they left town.

No comments:

Post a Comment